Subject: SC 22 N 3540 - Canadian National Body Comments Received following the Issuance of SC 22 N3533

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:48:02 -0500

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)
 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3540
 
TITLE:
Canadian National Body Comments Received following the Issuance of SC 22
N3533

DATE ASSIGNED:
2003-01-14
 
SOURCE:
Canadian National Body

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A
 
DOCUMENT TYPE:
National Body Contribution

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A
 
STATUS:
Per the request of the Canadian NB, these subsequent comments are circulated
for information.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI
 
DUE DATE:
  
DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC 22 N3533
 
DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def
 
Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
Matt Deane
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked]

___end cover page, beginning of document_____-

The following comment was intended to be included with Canada's affirmative
vote to ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22 N3499. We submit it now in the hope that it
influences the work of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22/WG20.

We are deeply troubled by the divide which has occurred in setting a
direction and agenda for WG20. Work on this WG has been hampered by
distinctly different attitudes toward the approaches needed to meet WG20's
objectives, and even on the objectives itself, exacerbated by extreme
difficulty in compromising. Unfortunately, the proposed convenor has been
caught in some of these difficulties.

Since the SC22 plenary when the proposed convenor's appointment was first
proposed by the US delegation, the proposed convenor has given us
undertakings that he will work diligently to find harmony within WG20 and to
promote and progress its work as mandated by SC22. We are content with these
undertakings and unreservedly approve the nomination of Mr. Whistler.

We would like to add a note of caution, however, to all participants in
WG20. The work of WG20 is vitally important to ISO/IEC's strategic
directions of cultural and linguistic adaptability. ISO/IEC through SC22 and
WG20 must play an active and proactive role in working with ISO/IEC SC's and
WG's to support CLAUI, and must also work well with outside organizations to
make sure that they are sensitized to the very real needs of the world
communities as seen by ISO/IEC. We urge all participants in WG20 to work
together toward common goals.