Subject: SC 22 N 3533 - Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 3499, Letter Ballot o n the Appointment of Ken Whistler as Convenor of SC 22/WG 20

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 14:00:09 -0500

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3533

TITLE:
Summary of Voting on SC 22 N 3499, Letter Ballot on the Appointment of Ken
Whistler as Convenor of SC 22/WG 20

DATE ASSIGNED:
2003-01-06

SOURCE:
SC 22 Secretariat

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Summary of Voting

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:
Per the results of this ballot, Mr. Whistler has been approved as the new
Convenor of SC 22/WG 20.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC 22 N3499

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Matt Deane
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked]

_____end of cover page, beginning of document______________

SUMMARY OF VOTING ON 

Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N3499 
Circulated by:                JTC 1/SC22 
Circulation Date:            2002-09-23
Closing Date:                 2002-12-24 
SUBJECT:  Summary of Voting on SC 22 N3499, Letter Ballot on the Appointment
of Ken Whistler as Convenor of SC 22/WG 20
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
The following responses have been received on the subject of approval: 

"P" Members supporting this appointment 
7 (Canada, China, Czech Republic, Japan, Russian Federation, United Kingdom,
USA) 

P" Members supporting this appointment, with comments              
3 (Germany, Ireland, Netherlands)        

"P" Members not supporting this appointment 
-

"P" Members abstaining                    
4 (Denmark, France, Norway, Switzerland) 

"P" Members not voting                    
10 (Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Egypt, Finland, DPR of Korea, Republic of
Korea, Romania, Slovenia, Ukraine) 

___________ end of summary, beginning on NB comments _____________ 

Germany 
We know Ken excellent qualifications for this convenorship. We expect that
he will impartially apply his knowledge and his energy in SC 22/WG 20 to
further WG 20's present and future projects and to heighten the profile of
the WG within SC22 and JTC1 as a whole.

Ireland
Ireland strongly supports the appointment of Dr Ken Whistler as Convener of
SC22/WG20. We know of no one who would be better suited to this task than
he, as his long experience in SC22/WG20 as well as his involvement in
practical industrial implementation shows.

Netherlands 
The Netherlands is concerned about the effectiveness of WG20 in managing its
workprogram, about the tendency of some WG20 participants to polarise rather
than compromise between different viewpoints (see for instance WG20 N949)
and about the WG20 attitude towards cooperation with other organisations
active in the same field.  

We hope and expect that the new convener, who is well aware of the current
problems, can effectively work to reduce these concerns in a constructive
and impartial manner,
and the Netherlands will support him in implementing this task.