Subject: SC22 N2368 - Request for GII Input

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 18:26:14 -0500 (EST)

_____________________beginning of title page _______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2368

January 1997

TITLE:               SC22 Chairman's Report on SWG-GII Meeting on
                     December 6, 1996 in Paris, France

SOURCE:              Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:           N/A

STATUS:              Please note the request to the Working Group
                     Conveners to provide information to the SC22
                     Chairman by January 8, 1997.

CROSS REFERENCE:     N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:       N/A

ACTION:              To SC22 Member Bodies for information.

                     TO WG CONVENERS FOR RESPONSE TO THE SC22 CHAIRMAN
                     BY JANUARY 8, 1997.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

________________________end of title page; beginning of text _________

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

23 December 1996

To:		SC22 National Bodies and Working Group Conveners

Subject: 	SWG-GII Meeting, 6 December 1996

I participated on your behalf at the last day of the SWG-GII meeting in
Paris on 6 December 1996.  SWG-GII had designated this day for meeting
with SC Chairmen and discussing SC input. 

SWG-GII drew a distinction between "services" and "tools" as far as the
tables in N64r2 are concerned.  The tables do not include standards for
building tools (but these standards will be covered in the new section on
pervasive standards mentioned below).  SWG-GII does want to include
standards which provide specific services whenever they exist.  They
appeared particularly interested in internationalization. 

SWG-GII will revise their document N64r2 (SC22 N2322), Identifying JTC1
Standards Used to Develop a GII Standards Roadmap, taking into account the
SC22 comments: 

  -- The SC22 standards that were identified in the charts I submitted
(SC22 N2346) will be added to the document as we indicated; 
  -- A section will be added on pervasive standards for GII, with a list
of such standards that will include those from SC22; 
  -- SWG-GII agreed that portability is not adequately handled at present
and treatment of portability will be expanded. 

There are a number of fundamental concepts that must be inherent in the
GII that the SWG calls attributes.  Among them are interoperability and
portability.  This is covered in their GII Roadmap document (JTC1 N4332)
which is a parallel document to N64r2 but which was only circulated to
JTC1 on 15 November 1996.  Because of this, SWG-GII does not believe that
interoperability is only "for testing service interoperability" as we
observed in our SC22 comments but rather that the Fundamental Building
Blocks only cover this aspect of the interoperability attribute.

SWG-GII did not agree to add the SC-specific service for server
applications that we suggested but considered that this is already covered
under data management services. 

SWG-GII plans to complete changes to their document N64r2 by 12 January
1997 and issue it again for comment in late January.  Meanwhile, we still
have an opportunity to provide additional standards for inclusion in the
charts where we have standards that provide these services. 

ACTION ITEM: 

Working Group Conveners:  In view of the guidance provided above, please
let me know by 8 January 1997 any additional standards that should be
included in the GII charts (see SC22 N2322 and SC22 N2346), where the
standards have specific capabilities for providing the services indicated
in the charts.  I will forward a consolidated list to SWG-GII for
inclusion is their January revision. 

Thank you. 

Robert H. Follett
Chairman

_____________________end of document SC22 N2368 ______________________