Subject: SC 22 N 3518 - JTC 1 Resolution on Re-adoption of Withdrawn Stand ards and Simultaneous Transition to Stabilized Status

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 11:48:41 -0500

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)
 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3518
 
TITLE:
JTC 1 Resolution on Re-adoption of Withdrawn Standards and Simultaneous
Transition to Stabilized Status

DATE ASSIGNED:
2002-11-07
 
SOURCE:
JTC 1 Secretariat

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A
 
DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other document (Open)

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A
 
STATUS:
JTC 1 passed the attached resolution at the Sophia Antipolis Plenary.
Following the resolution text, I have identified the SC 22 standards that
have been withdrawn (according to the ISO database).  SC 22 members are
requested to review the list and  send recommendations to the SC 22
Secretariat for any standards that should be transitioned to stabilized
status.  This recommendation should address the rationale requested by JTC
1, and also include the name of a project editor nominee if possible
(strictly for a point of contact for questions as these standards are not
being revised).  Please submit this information to the SC 22 Secretariat no
later than 2003-01-07 as we will need to circulate the responses to SC 22
members for approval prior to submission to JTC 1 (due date 2003-05-15).
 
ACTION IDENTIFIER:
COM
 
DUE DATE:
2003-01-07
  
DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
 
DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open
 
Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
Matt Deane
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked]

___end of cover page, beginning of document___________

Resolution 36 - Re-adoption of Withdrawn Standards and Simultaneous
Transition to Stabilized Status

JTC 1 recognizes that there are a small number of standards which have been
withdrawn in the past even though other standards and/or implementations
still exist which are dependent upon the standard.  JTC 1 notes that such
standards would have been made stabilized standards, but that the Stabilized
Standards category did not exist.  JTC 1 notes that such withdrawn standards
implicitly meet the requirements for stabilized status of maturity,
stability, and lack of change.

To address this situation, JTC 1 instructs its Secretariat to notify JTC 1
National Bodies and Subcommittees that for a period of six months (from 15
November 2002- 15 May 2003), proposals may be received to re-adopt such
previously withdrawn standards and simultaneously transition them into
stabilized Status, according to the following provisions:

	·	Each such standard when proposed by a JTC 1 National Body or
Subcommittee must be accompanied by documentation of existing dependent
standards or existing in-use implementations dependent upon the standard

	·	No changes of any sort whatsoever may be made to the
standard during this process.  If any changes are needed the standard must
be addressed via an NP.

Abstention: Switzerland

The following are SC 22 standards that have been withdrawn:

ISO 1538:1984 - Programming languages -- ALGOL 60
ISO 6373:1984 - Data processing -- Programming languages -- Minimal BASIC
ISO/IEC 11430:1994 - Information technology -- Programming languages --
Generic package of elementary functions for ADA
ISO/IEC 11729:1994 - Information technology -- Programming languages --
Generic package of primitive functions for Ada
ISO/IEC 11730:1994 - Information technology -- Programming languages -- Form
Interface Management System (FIMS)
ISO/IEC 12227:1995 - Information technology -- Programming languages --
SQL/Ada Module Description Language (SAMeDL)