Subject: SC22 N2360 (Venue Notice/Agenda for Java Study Gp Jan 97 Mtg)

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 12:56:27 -0500 (EST)

_____________________beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2360

January 1997

TITLE:              Venue Notice and Draft Agenda for SC22 Java Study
                    Group Meeting on January 7-8, 1997 in Cupertino,
                    California, USA

SOURCE:             Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:          N/A

STATUS:             N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:    N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:      Venue Notice and Agenda

ACTION:             To SC22 Member Bodies for information.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________________end of title page; beginning of text _____________

                  VENUE NOTICE AND PRELIMINARY AGENDA FOR
                ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 JAVA STUDY GROUP MEETING

The ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 Java Study Group will hold an informal meeting
Tuesday and Wednesday, January 7-8, 1997, in
Cupertino, CA, beginning at 9:00am at
JavaSoft, 10201 North De Anza Blvd, Cupertino, CA 95014.

This meeting will be informal in the sense that no formal actions are
anticipated (or will be allowed). The purpose is face-to-face discussion of
issues and the formulation of those issues so they can be submitted for
voting by the whole study group, the recommendations of the study group are
subject to formal voting by the members of SC22.

There will be a separate Java SIG meeting on Monday evening, January 6.
I'll send more information on that when I have it.

This message has three main parts: JSG Agenda, a list of anticipated
attendees (confirmations needed) and local information (including some
possible hotel choices).

Java Study Group (JSG) AGENDA
Tuesday, January 7, 1997: joint meeting with SC29/WG12 MHEG
(Note: this joint meeting was the primary reason for choosing this place
and time.)
Information about SC29/WG12 and their meeting can be found at
http://www.demon.co.uk/tcasey/wg12  userid  MHEG  passwd GEHM
There will be tutorials on MHEG 5&6 in the morning and an administrative
meeting in the afternoon.

Wednesday, January 8, 1997: separate meeting for review of JSG alternatives

Meeting Secretary -- Rex Jaeschke (possibly)

I. Possible Candidate Technologies for Standardization
Java language
Java Virtual Machine
AWT
Java Class Libraries
Java Beans
Java OS
i18n
Other API's (Security, 3D, etc.)
JDBC

ECMA Script (also known as, JavaScript or JScript) (ECMA TC 39)
(SC22JSG.202)

ActiveX (Open Group)

ANDF (Architecture-Neutral Distribution Format) (SC22JSG.212)
        http://riwww.osf.org/andf/andf.papers/toc.html
Inferno, Lucent Technologies
http://inferno.bell-labs.com/inferno/
Gazelle / Juice (SC22JSG.157)
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~juice
ScriptEase (Cmm) Nombas (SC22JSG.154)

II. Possible Approaches
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 Committee developed draft and traditional voting
Fast Tracking existing standard (with subsequent committee) (SC22JSG.204)
Adopting a PAS (Publicly Available Specification)

ECMA
OMG
Open Group

US Organization (Wednesday afternoon discussion):
US TAG (Technical Advisory Group) for ISO…JSG
X3, IEEE, Canvass (independent group)
        Organizing Committee: Bob Mathis, Rex Jaeschke, others?
IPF (International Participation Fee)

Timing

III. General Issues
Internationalization (i18n)

Localization (i.e. Japanization in Java language/AWT)

Tim Boreham's suggestions:
1.  Sun Microsystems Java environment is an architecturally neutral
applications environment for distributed applications. 
2.  Java (and all its associated items - JVM, the language, etc.) is worthy
of standardization. (other languages/environments may also be worthy of
standardization - later)
3.  The standardization process needs the participation of Sun.
4.  The standard should correspond as closely as possible to the Sun
specifications (new features can be added in the second version).

David Wheeler's Proposal (SC22JSG.168)

1.  We want standardization to proceed as rapidly as possible.

2.  Java is a member of the C family of languages, but trying to force
Java's description to be too close to C would be inappropriate. [This was
discussed on the JSG e-list without much agreement.]

3.  Standards are needed (in priority order) for:
Java Virtual Machine and
Java programming language

4.  corporate positions relating to the availability of copyrighted,
trademarked, and/or licensed material that may be relevant to the standards
process [things change so fast that it's hard to predict the content of
this item, but we might either be moving ahead very rapidly with everybody
participating and cooperating or we might want to wait for others to come
on board]

5.  discuss specifics of organization in terms of what new work items to
suggest, what working groups to form, how this work would relate to ISO/IEC
national member bodies, liaisons with other JTC1 SCs and WGs, how to work
effectively electronically, how to organize national delegations, how to
involve and respond to the volume of technical activity in this area, how
to vote, and (I know this isn't of interest to the whole group) how the US
might organize itself;

6.  initial discussion of some technical issues; this might involve
reviewing some products, books, or add-on capabilities.

Use "::" in a Java qualified-name (SC22JSG.216)

Use Argument Names to disambiguate Overloaded Methods (SC22JSG.216)

Generics or Templates (SC22JSG.176)
        http://wwwipd.ira.uka.de/~odersky/papers.html#Pizza

ATTENDEES
CONFIRMED:
Magnus Y Alvestad <[email-masked]>
John C. Benito <[email-masked]>
Sean A. Corfield <[email-masked]>  (UK Head of Delegation)
Frank Farance <[email-masked]>
Rex Jaeschke <[email-masked]>
Derek Jones <>  (UK Delegation)
Toshiaki Kurokawa <[email-masked]>
Dmitry Lenkov <[email-masked]>
Brian Marks <[email-masked]>  (UK Delegation
Neil Martin <>  (UK Delegation)
Bob Mathis <[email-masked]>
Kevin Miller <[email-masked]>
Valerie Taylor <[email-masked]>
Simon Tooke <[email-masked]>

POSSIBLE:
Steve Carson <[email-masked]>
Dick Gemoets <[email-masked]>
Sam Harbison <[email-masked]>
Elliotte Rusty Harold <[email-masked]>
Scott Jameson <[email-masked]>
Andy Johnson <[email-masked]>
Randy Meyers <[email-masked]>
John D. Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Keld J|rn Simonsen <[email-masked]>
Pete Smith <[email-masked]>

LOCAL INFORMATION (taken from the SC29/WG12 announcment)
AIRPORTS:

The airports closest to Cupertino are San Francisco International Airport
and San Jose International Airport. If you must connect through another US
airport, and if time is the sole criteria, consider San Jose rather than
San Francisco. It will save about 45 minutes. You should rent a car.
[Personal note from Mathis, I don't like renting cars in general, but
California is one place it makes sense. There will be plenty of local
people and others who rent cars so I'm sure we could make arrangements for
anybody with my natural reluctance for renting.]

Directions From San Francisco Airport:
San Francisco International Airport has more direct flights from Europe,
and is about 60 minutes north of Cupertino if traffic is light. The route
via US 101 is South and East toward San Jose and Mountain View to US 85,
then South on US 85 to US 280, then East on US 280 towards San Jose. The
first exit after joining US 280 is Sunnyvale Saratoga & De Anza Boulevard.
Exit here. Turn right onto De Anza Boulevard. The Apple corporate site is
at the De Anza exit and should be on your left. The JavaSoft site is about
3/4 blocks west on the right hand side (that is West side) of De Anza
Boulevard. There is a KidsSoft building just before it. The route via US
280 is South and East towards San Jose. Cupertino is just South of Los
Altos. Exit at Sunnyvale Saratoga & De Anza Boulevard. The exit before this
is for US 85. Turn right onto De Anza Boulevard. The Apple corporate site
is at the De Anza exit and should be on your left. The JavaSoft site is
about 3/4 blocks west on the right hand side (that is West side) of De Anza
Boulevard.  There is a KidsSoft building just before it.

Directions From San Jose Airport:
San Jose International Airport is closest to the site. Its about 15-20
minutes South of Cupertino. Take US 280 West and North toward San
Francisco. Exit at Sunnyvale Saratoga & De Anza Boulevard. The exit before
this is Wolfe Road. Turn left onto De Anza Boulevard. The direction is
south. The corporate site for Apple is at the De Anza exit and should be on
your left. (If you enter the Apple site, avoid the Infinite Loop.) The
JavaSoft site is about 3/4 blocks west on the right hand side (that is west
side) of De Anza Boulevard. There is a KidsSoft building just before it.

Information on San Francisco International Airport and San Jose
International Airport, for example the airlines which serve the airports,
the terminals' maps, additional hotel information, ground transportation
and shuttle service from both airports is available at:
http://www.quickaid.com/airports

HOTELS

At least one participant has mentioned staying at the Fairmont Hotel in San
Jose. I’ve never stayed there so I cannot make any comments.

If you'll communicate on the list about your plans, common arrangements
might result.

The hotels shown below offer reduced rates for Sun Microsystems.

The hotel closest to the JavaSoft site is:

Marriott Courtyard - Cupertino
10605 North Wolf Road
Cupertino, California
1- 408-252-9100

Cupertino Inn - Cupertino
10889 N. DeAnza Boulevard
Cupertino, California 95014
1-800-222-4828 (in the U.S.)
Fax: 1-408-257-0578
Corporate Rate: $152.00 ($99.00 - Fridays & Saturdays)

The Palo Alto locations shown below are close to Stanford University, with
numerous resturants and bookstores in the area. Palo Alto is about 20-30
minutes north of Cupertino. 

Garden Court Hotel
520 Cowper St. 
Palo Alto, California
1-800-824-9028
$165.00

Holiday Inn Palo Alto
625 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, California
1-415-328-2800
$125.00

Stanford Park Hotel
El Camino Real
Menlo Park, California
1-415-322-1234
$145.00

The hotels below are toward San Jose near US 101 and would be convenient to
the San Jose airport. 

Sunnyvale Hilton
1250 Lakeside Drive
Sunnyvale, California
1-408-738-4888
$95.00

Embassy Suites
885 Lakeside Dr.
Santa Clara, California
1-408-496-6400

________________________end of document SC22 N2360 ____________________