Subject: SC22 N2359 - Migration to new DIS procedures

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 15:32:51 -0500 (EST)

______________________beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2359

January 1997

SUBJECT:            Migration to New DIS Procedures

SOURCE:             Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:          N/A

STATUS:             N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:    N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:      N/A

ACTION:             To SC22 Member Bodies, WG Conveners and HODs for
                    information.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

__________________end of title page; beginning of text ________________

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

TO:		SC22 Working Group Conveners and National Bodies

SUBJECT:	Migration to new DIS procedures

At the JTC 1 plenary meeting in Paris, JTC 1 approved a migration plan for
implementation of the new JTC 1 DIS development process.  The process is
that same as we have previously discussed and the implementation dates are
now firm, although they are more ambitious than I would have liked. 

The key date for implementation is 1 May 1997.  Details are as follows: 

  -- CDs:  Projects at the CD stage can continue to use the current DIS
procedures PROVIDED they receive the necessary substantial support for
advancement to DIS stage prior to 1 May 1997, AND the DIS texts are
received by ITTF before 1 September 1997.  Projects not meeting this
criteria will be processed according to the new DIS procedures, i.e., a
four-month Final CD (FCD) will need to be circulated before advancement to
the new two-month up-or-down Final DIS (FDIS).  SCs are authorized to
begin submission of FCDs as early as 1 January 1997 if they wish. 

  -- DISs:  All DISs and DAMs circulated prior to 1 May 1997 shall use the
current procedures, i.e., four month DIS ballot followed by preparation of
final text for publication.  DISs that are disapproved will continue to be
processed according to the current (old) procedures.  After 1 September
1997, the new FDIS procedure will be used.  Between 1 May and 1 September
1997, either DIS procedure may be used as appropriate.

As we've previously discussed, no technical or editorial changes will be
permitted to DIS texts and P-members will respond with a simple Yes, No,
or Abstain.  Only minor corrections will be permitted, e.g., misspellings
and printing errors.  We will have to produce the final text for the
standard on the final CD ballot in SC22.  Working groups will need to
identify these "final CD" ballots.  (It may be helpful to think of the new
"final CD" as similar to the old DIS.  In theory, there was only supposed
to be a single DIS ballot and documents should not have been advanced to
DIS stage unless they were complete and there was substantial agreement
about their content.  Nonetheless, there were times when a second DIS was
necessary since the document did not have the consensus that the SC
thought it had.) 

We will distribute the official revised procedures as soon as we receive
them.  Meanwhile, if you have any questions, please contact either Bill
Rinehuls or myself. 

Robert H. Follett
Chairman

_____________________end of document SC22 N2359 _____________________