Subject: SC22 N2353 (Vote Summary on CD 10514-2 - Modula-2 Extensions)

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 18:58:07 -0500 (EST)

_________________beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2353

December 1996

TITLE:               Summary of Voting on CD Ballot for:  CD 10514-2:
                     Information technology - Programming languages,
                     their environments and system software interfaces -
                     Modula-2 Extensions for Systems Programming

SOURCE:              Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:           JTC 1.22.18.04

STATUS:              N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:     SC22 N2219

DOCUMENT TYPE:       Summary of Voting

ACTION:              To SC22 Member Bodies for information.

                     To WG13 for preparation of a Disposition of
                     Comments Report and a recommendation on the
                     further processing of the CD.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA  22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

________________end of title page; beginning of summary _________________

                          SUMMARY OF VOTING ON

Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N2219
Circulated by:               JTC 1/SC22
Circulation Date:            08-13-1996
Closing Date:                12-02-1996

SUBJECT:  CD ballot for CD 10514-2: Information technology - Program-
          ming languages, their environments and system software
          interfaces - Modula-2 Extensions for Systems Programming

The following responses have been received on the subject of approval:

"P" Members supporting approval
       without comment                    13

"P" Members supporting approval
       with comment                        3

"P" Members not supporting approval        1

"P" Members abstaining                     2

"P" Members not voting                     3

"O" Members supporting approval
       without comment                     1

Secretariat Action:

The comment accompanying the abstention vote from France was:  "Lack of
resources."

The comments accompanying the affirmative votes from Austria, Genmany,
and the Netherlands and the comments accompanying the negative vote 
from the USA are attached.

WG13 is requested to prepare a Disposition of Comments Report and make
a recommendation on the further processing of the CD.

_________________end of summary; beginning of detailed summary ____
                 ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22  LETTER BALLOT SUMMARY

PROJECT NO:    JTC1.22.18.04

SUBJECT:  CD Ballot for CD 10514-2: Information technology - Programming
          languages, their environments and system software interfaces -
          Modula-2 Extensions for Systems Programming

Reference Document No:  N2219           Ballot Document No:  N2219
Circulation Date: 08-13-1996            Closing Date:  12-02-1996 
                                                              
Circulated To: SC22 P, L                Circulated By: Secretariat

SUMMARY OF VOTING AND COMMENTS RECEIVED

                 Approve  Disapprove Abstain Comments   Not Voting
'P' Members

Australia          (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Austria            (X)      ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )
Belgium            ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Brazil             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )    
Canada             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
China              (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Czech Republic     (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Denmark            (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Egypt              (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Finland            (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
France             ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Germany            (X)      ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )
Japan              ( )      ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )
Netherlands        (X)      ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )
Romania            (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Russian Federation ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Slovenia           (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Sweden             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Switzerland        (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
UK                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Ukraine            (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
USA                ( )      (X)       ( )       (X)       ( )

'O' Members

Argentina          ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Bulgaria           ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Cuba               ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Greece             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Hungary            ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Iceland            ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
India              ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Indonesia          ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Italy              ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Korea Republic     (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
New Zealand        ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Norway             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Poland             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Portugal           ( )      ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )
Singapore          ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Thailand           ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Turkey             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Yugoslavia         ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )

____________________end of detail summary; beginning of comments _____

            COMMENTS ACCOMPANYING NEGATIVE VOTE FROM THE USA

As the USNB has indicated in its earlier balloting on what is now 
ISO/IEC 10514-1, Programming languages, Modula-2, the USNB believes that
that International Standard is badly flowed; accordingly, extensions to
that International Standard are inappropriate.

                 COMMENTS ACCOMPANYING AFFIRMATIVE VOTES

Austria:

"ON votes 'Yes' on document ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22/N2219 (CD ballot for 
CD 10514-2, Modula-2 Extensions for Systems Programming) with the
following comments:

1) Although the various examples are considered very valuable, in 
particular the 'preprocessed' files could cause confusion.  It should be
made perfectly clear that these examples show only one particular way to
implement genericity.  One possible solution might be to move all the 
examples to an Annex that is clearly marked as 'informative' rather than
'normative'.

2) It does not seem to be entirely clear from the document whether 
'refining implementation modules' are really necessary.  They appear to be
containing only information already present in the corresponding 'refining
definition modules'.  If there is a rationale for having these (almost 
empty) modules, it should be contained in the document. 

3) Several editorial comments will be sent to the editor in a separate 
message."

Germany:

"The DIN vote regarding CD 10514-2 'Modula-2 Extensions for Systems 
Programming' (Generic Modula-2), reference number ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2219, dated 96-08-13 is:

YES, with comments

Comments:

(a) Section 6.1.2, Example 3 (p. 14): Explain the abbreviation 'ADT'
(= abstract date type) as the standard does not contain a glossary.

(b) Annex 3 (Changes to the Syntax of the Base Language): Add another 
section 'local modula declaration' which contains the changes to section
C.2.10 of the Base Standard."

Netherlands: