Subject: SC22 N2352 (Vote Summary on CD Registration of CD 13210)

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 18:24:35 -0500 (EST)

________________beginning of title page ____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2352

December 1996

TITLE:           Summary of Voting on CD Registration for CD 13210
                 (Revision of ISO 13210): Information technology -
                 Requirements and Guidelines for Test Methods
                 Specifications and Test Method Implementations for
                 Measuring Conformance to POSIX Standards

SOURCE:          Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:       JTC 1.22.37

STATUS:          Registration of CD 13210 is approved.

CROSS REFERENCE: SC22 N2215

DOCUMENT TYPE:   Summary of Voting

ACTION:          To SC22 Member Bodies for information.

                 To WG15 for preparation of a Disposition of Comments
                 Report and a recommendation on the further processing
                 of the CD.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

______________________end of title page; beginning of summary ____________

                       SUMMARY OF VOTING ON

Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N2215
Circulated by:               JTC 1/SC22
Circulation Date:            08-13-1996
Closing Date:                12-02-1996

SUBJECT:  CD Registration for CD 13210 (Revision of ISO 13210):
          Information technology - Requirements and Guidelines for
          Test Methods Specifications and Test Method Implementations
          for Measuring Conformance to POSIX Standards

The following respsonses have been received on the subject of approval:

"P" Members supporting approval
       without comment                    13

"P" Members supporting approval
       with comment                        1

"P" Members not supporting approval        1

"P" Members abstaining                     2

"P" Members not voting                     5

"O" Members supporting approval
       without comment                     1

Secretariat Action:

CD Registration is approved.

The comment accompanying the abstention vote from Austria was:  "Lack
of expert resources".  The comment accompaning the affirmative vote
from the United Kingdom was:  "The UK notes that the latest available
draft should be the one presented for CD ballot."

The comment accompanying the negative vote from the Netherlands is
attached.

WG15 is requested to prepare a Disposition of Comments Report and make
a recommendation on the further processing of the CD.

____________________end of summary; beginning of detail summary ______
                 ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22  LETTER BALLOT SUMMARY

PROJECT NO:    JTC1.22.37

SUBJECT:  CD Registration for:  CD 13210 (Revision of ISO 13210): Information
technology - Requirements and Guidelines for Test Methods Specifications and Test
Method Implementations for Measuring Conformance to POSIX Standards

Reference Document No:  N2215           Ballot Document No:  N2215
Circulation Date: 08-13-1996            Closing Date:  12-02-1996 
                                                              
Circulated To: SC22 P, L                Circulated By: Secretariat

SUMMARY OF VOTING AND COMMENTS RECEIVED

                 Approve  Disapprove  Abstain Comments   Not Voting
'P' Members

Australia           (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Austria             ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Belgium             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Brazil              (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )    
Canada              ( )      ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )
China               ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Czech Republic      (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Denmark             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Egypt               (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Finland             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
France              (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Germany             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Japan               (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Netherlands         ( )      (X)       ( )       (X)       ( )
Romania             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Russian Federation  ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Slovenia            (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Sweden              ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Switzerland         (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
UK                  (X)      ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )
Ukraine             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
USA                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)

'O' Members

Argentina           ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Bulgaria            ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Cuba                ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Greece              ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Hungary             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Iceland             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
India               ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Indonesia           ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Italy               ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Korea Republic      (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
New Zealand         ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Norway              ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Poland              ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Portugal            ( )      ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )
Singapore           ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Thailand            ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Turkey              ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Yugoslavia          ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )

__________________end of summary; beginning of comment __________________

From [email-masked] Mon Nov 25 12:2:58 196

IT - Requirements and Guidelines for Test Methods
Specifications and Test Method Implementations for
Measuring Conformence to POSIX Standards
96-12-02, DISAPPROVAL WITH COMMENT
......................................................
Comment on N2162 and N2215 by the NNi

As any organization, ISO has to justify the cost of creating a product
with the expected benefit.

The NNi recently received a voluminous bundle of paper, N2162,
containing the Working Document for the Standard for Test Methods
Specifications for Measuring Conformance to POSIX.1b. The Working
Document describes the intended audience for this standard as:

  (1) Developers of POSIX.1b test methods
  (2) Implementors of POSIX.1b implementations
  (3) Application writers for POSIX.1b conforming implementations
  (4) POSIX.1b testing laboratories; and
  (5) Others interested in validating the conformance of a vendor-
      claimed POSIX.1b implementation.

It is the opinion of the NNi that this Working Document does not have
a large enough audience to justify the progress to International 
Standard. The audiences mentioned under 1,2,4 and 5 above are very
small.

The audience mentioned under 3 above, application writers, is potentially
very large. In the opinion of the NNi  only a very small part of that
audience will ever be tempted to use a Standard created from this
Working Document. Application writers will use the base standard,
POSIX.1b, whenever they want to know the exact specifications or
intent of the POSIX.1b. The Working Document is not supposed to contain
extra specifications or clarify POSIX.1b. The Working Document lists a
huge number of tests in a language especially created for that purpose.
Few application writers will bother with learning the language and using
the tests.

The NNi acknowledges the worth of the document for the intended
audiences, but expects that the total audience will be too small to
justify the cost of creating and maintaining a Standard similar to the
Working Document.

Document N2215 is a base document to be used with all POSIX test
methods specifications. Because the base document only seems to be
worthwhile in combination with standards containing test methods
specifications, the NNi will not support N2215.

__________________end of document SC22 N2352 _____________________