Subject: SC22 N2351 (Vote Summary on PDAM4 to ISO 9945-1)

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 17:59:53 -0500 (EST)

__________________beginning of title page ____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2351

December 1996

TITLE:            Summary of Voting on Concurrent PDAM Registration
                  and PDAM Ballot for:  PDAM4 to ISO 9945-1: 
                  Information technology - Portable Operating System
                  Interface (POSIX) - Protocol Independent Interfaces
                  (PII)

SOURCE:           Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:        JTC 1.22.21.01.03.03

STATUS:           Registration of PDAM4 to ISO 9945-1 has been approved.

CROSS REFERENCE:  SC22 N2213

DOCUMENT TYPE:    Summary of Voting

ACTION:           To SC22 Member Bodies for information.

                  To WG15 for preparation of a Disposition of Comments
                  Report and a recommendation on the further processing
                  of the PDAM.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_________________end of title page; beginning of summary _____________

                       SUMMARY OF VOTING ON

Letter Ballot Reference No:     SC22/N2213
Circulated by:                  JTC 1/SC22
Circulation Date:               08-13-1996
Closing Date:                   12-02-1996

SUBJECT:  Concurrent PDAM Registration and PDAM Ballot for:  PDAM4 to
          ISO 9945-1: Information technology - Portable Operating
          System Interface (POSIX) - Protocol Independent Interfaces
          (PII)

The following responses have been received on the subject of CD
registration:

"P" Members supporting registration
       without comments                       14

"P" Members supporting registration
       with comments                           1

"P" Members not supporting registration        3

"P" Members abstaining                         1

"P" Members not voting                         3

"O" Members supporting registration
       without comment                         1

The following responses have been received on the subject of CD approval:

"P" Members supporting approval
       without comment                        13

"P" Members supporting approval
       with comment                            1

"P" Members not supporting approval            4

"P" Members abstaining                         1

"P" Members not voting                         3

"O" Members supporting approval 
       without comment                         1

Secretariat Action:

Registration of PDAM4 to ISO 9945-1 has been approved.  WG15 is 
requested to prepare a Disposition of Comments Report and a 
recommendation on the further processing of the PDAM.

The comment accompanying the abstention vote by Austria was:  "Lack of
expert resources".  The comment accompanying the affirmative vote by
the USA was:  "The USNB would point out that the version of this 
document that is subsequently balloted should be the appropriate IEEE
draft document to be in compliance with the approved JTC 1/SC22
Synchronization Plan."

____________end of summary; beginning of detailed summary _____________

                 ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22  LETTER BALLOT SUMMARY
                            PDAM Registration

PROJECT NO:    JTC 1.22.21.01.03.03

SUBJECT:  Concurrent PDAM Registration and PDAM Ballot for:  PDAM4 to ISO
          9945-1: Information technology - Portable Operating System Interface
          (POSIX) - Protocol Independent Interfaces (PII)
          
Reference Document No:  N2213           Ballot Document No:  N2213
Circulation Date:   08-13-1996                    Closing Date:  12-02-1996 
                                                              
Circulated To: SC22 P, L           Circulated By: Secretariat

                  SUMMARY OF VOTING AND COMMENTS RECEIVED

                 Approve  Disapprove Abstain   Comments   Not Voting
'P' Members

Australia           (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Austria             ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Belgium             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Brazil              (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )    
Canada              ( )      (X)       ( )       (X)       ( )
China               ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Czech Republic      (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Denmark             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Egypt               (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Finland             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
France              ( )      (X)       ( )       (X)       ( )
Germany             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Japan               (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Netherlands         (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Romania             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Russian Federation  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Slovenia            (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Sweden              ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Switzerland         (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
UK                  ( )      (X)       ( )       (X)       ( )
Ukraine             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
USA                 (X)      ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )

'O' Members

Argentina           ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Bulgaria            ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Cuba                ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Greece              ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Hungary             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Iceland             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
India               ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Indonesia           ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Italy               ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Korea Republic      (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
New Zealand         ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Norway              ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Poland              ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Portugal            ( )      ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )
Singapore           ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Thailand            ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Turkey              ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Yugoslavia          ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )

___________________________________________________________________
                 ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22  LETTER BALLOT SUMMARY
                              PDAM Approval

PROJECT NO:    JTC 1.22.21.01.03.03

SUBJECT:  Concurrent PDAM Registration and PDAM Ballot for:  PDAM4 to ISO
          9945-1: Information technology - Portable Operating System Interface
          (POSIX) - Protocol Independent Interfaces (PII)
          
Reference Document No:  N2213           Ballot Document No:  N2213
Circulation Date:   08-13-1996                    Closing Date:  12-02-1996 
                                                              
Circulated To: SC22 P, L           Circulated By: Secretariat

                  SUMMARY OF VOTING AND COMMENTS RECEIVED

                 Approve Disapprove Abstain Comments   Not Voting
'P' Members

Australia          (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Austria            ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Belgium            ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Brazil             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )    
Canada             ( )      (X)       ( )       (X)       ( )
China              ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Czech Republic     (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Denmark            (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Egypt              (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Finland            (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
France             ( )      (X)       ( )       (X)       ( )
Germany            ( )      (X)       ( )       (X)       ( )
Japan              (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Netherlands        (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Romania            (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Russian Federation (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Slovenia           (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Sweden             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Switzerland        (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
UK                 ( )      (X)       ( )       (X)       ( )
Ukraine            (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
USA                (X)      ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )

'O' Members

Argentina          ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Bulgaria           ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Cuba               ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Greece             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Hungary            ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Iceland            ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
India              ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Indonesia          ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Italy              ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Korea Republic     (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
New Zealand        ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Norway             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Poland             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Portugal           ( )      ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )
Singapore          ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Thailand           ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Turkey             ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Yugoslavia         ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )

__________________end of summary; beginning of comments __________________

Comments Accompanying Negative Votes on SC22 Letter Ballot N2213

Canada

"Canada DISAPPROVES this document.

Information Technology - Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) - Part
xx: Protocol Independent Interfaces (PII)

'An incomplete document has been circulated for ballot and should be
replaced by IEEE P1003.1g/D6.5 dated August 1996.  Only after reviewing
the correct document will we be able to comment further on its contents.'

The August 1996 Draft 6.5 is the correct draft but there are still some 
outstanding issues that will be addressed as a result of the UK comments
on this document.  If they substitute the correct draft and address the
other national body (UK) comments then we can change our vote to approve."

France

"AFNOR votes NO on concurrent PDAM registration and approval ballot for 
ISO/IEC 9945-1 - POSIX - Part 1, Protocol Independent Interfaces (PII).

Its vote will be reversed if uncompatibility problems between X/Open 
Networking Services (XNS) and IEEE POSIX Protocol Independent Interfaces
(PII) which are related to 64 bits environments are resolved.

For example, any reference to language C types (e.g., long) should be
replaced by independent types (e.g., XNS t_scalar_t)."

Germany

"N3324, PDAM 4 Reg and ballot to IS 9945-1, POSIX Protocol Independent 
Interface:  YES to the registration, NO to the ballot.  There is a new
document SC 22 WG 15 N 697, which should replace the presented one that
only contains changes to the base document."

United Kingdom

(See next attachment)

____________________________comments continued ____________________