Subject: SC22 N2348 (Vote Summary on LB 2211 - Reg for CD 15068-4

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 16:57:19 -0500 (EST)

________________________beginning of title page _____________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2348

December 1996

TITLE:           Summary of Voting on CD Registration for:  CD 15068-4:
                 Information technology - Portable Operating System
                 Interface (POSIX) System Administration - Part 4:
                 Printing Interfaces

SOURCE:          Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:       JTC 1.22.21.03.03

STATUS:          Registration of CD 15068-4 is approved.

CROSS REFERENCE: SC22 N2211

DOCUMENT TYPE:   Summary of Voting

ACTION:          To SC22 Member Bodies for information.

                 To WG15 for preparation of a Disposition of Comments
                 Report and a recommendation on the further processing
                 of the CD.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

___________________end of title page; beginning of summary __________

                     SUMMARY OF VOTING ON

Letter Ballot Reference No:   SC22 N2211
Circulated by:                JTC 1/SC22
Circulation Date:             08-13-1996
Closing Date:                 12-02-1996

SUBJECT:  CD Registration for:  CD 15068-4: Information technology -
          Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) System Adminis-
          tration - Part 4: Printing Interfaces

The following responses have been received on the subject of approval:

"P" Members supporting approval
       without comment                   14

"P" Members supporting approval
       with comment                       4

"P" Members not supporting approval       0

"P" Members abstaining                    1

"P" Members not voting                    3

"O" Members supporting approval
       without comment                    1

Secretariat Action:

Registration of CD 15068-4 is approved.

The comment accompanying the abstention vote from Austria was:  "Lack
of expert resources."

The comment accompanying the affirmative votes from Canada, the
Netherlands, the United Kingdom and the USA have been forwarded to 
WG15 with a request to prepare a Disposition of Comments Report and
make a recommendation on the further processing of the CD.

___________________end of summary; beginning of detail summary ________
                 ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22  LETTER BALLOT SUMMARY

PROJECT NO:    JTC1.22.21.03.03

SUBJECT:  CD Registration for:  CD 15068-4:  Information technology - Portable
          Operating System Interface (POSIX) System Administration - Part 4:
          Printing Interfaces

Reference Document No:  N1812           Ballot Document No:  N2211
Circulation Date: 08-13-1996            Closing Date:  12-02-1996 
                                                              
Circulated To: SC22 P, L                Circulated By: Secretariat

SUMMARY OF VOTING AND COMMENTS RECEIVED

                 Approve Disapprove Abstain Comments   Not Voting
'P' Members

Australia          (X)     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Austria            ( )     ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Belgium            ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Brazil             (X)     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )    
Canada             (X)     ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )
China              ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Czech Republic     (X)     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Denmark            (X)     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Egypt              (X)     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Finland            (X)     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
France             (X)     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Germany            (X)     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Japan              (X)     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Netherlands        (X)     ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )
Romania            (X)     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Russian Federation (X)     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Slovenia           (X)     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Sweden             ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Switzerland        (X)     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
UK                 (X)     ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )
Ukraine            (X)     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
USA                (X)     ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )

'O' Members

Argentina          ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Bulgaria           ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Cuba               ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Greece             ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Hungary            ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Iceland            ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
India              ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Indonesia          ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Italy              ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Korea Republic     (X)     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
New Zealand        ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Norway             ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Poland             ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Portugal           ( )     ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )
Singapore          ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Thailand           ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Turkey             ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Yugoslavia         ( )     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )

______________end of summary; beginning of comments __________________
                Comments accompanying affirmative votes:

Canada

"Canadian vote is to accept with comments:

CD Registration 15068-4 Sys Admin Printing Interfaces

There is still some concern that this document, unlike most other POSIX
documents, is based less on existing commercial implementations and is
more of an invention.  We also note that a more recent draft needs to be
substituted for the draft submitted for registration."

Netherlands

"NNi comment on CD 15068-4 POSIX Printing Interfaces

We have one minor comment to this worthwhile document.

Paragraph 4.10.3.1.2,  page 158, line 3255-3242.

We are not entirely happy with the delete-after attribute.  The 
accompanying text is somewhat confusing.  The last sentence stating that
the file should not be deleted if an error occurs during printing or the
job is removed, seems apply only to delete-after=printing,  although this 
is not stated.

Even if it were stated this can still cause problems.  Is printing on a 
machine that forgot to detect it ran out of toner an error?  The user will
think it is, but the system can not detect this.  I think the user
should always be prepared to reprint any document and can never rely on 
the system to detect that a document is printed to the users satisfaction.

Therefore it might be better if this attribute was deleted from your 
specification.  The transition to the printing system you propose is a
good time to get rid of unnecessary features."

United Kingdom

"The UK notes that the latest available draft should be the one presented 
for CD ballot."

United States of America

"The USNB would point out that the version of this document that is 
subsequently balloted as the CD should be the appropriate IEEE draft
document to be in compliance with the approved JTC 1/SC22
Synchronization Plan."

_______________________end of document SC22 N2348 __________________