Subject: SC 22 N 3457 - National Body Activity Report of Japan

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:47:29 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3457

TITLE:
National Body Activity Report of Japan

DATE ASSIGNED:
2002-08-06

SOURCE:
National Body of Japan

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
National Body Contribution

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:
As this document was received after the July 26 deadline, it will be
reviewed at the upcoming SC 22 Plenary under Agenda Item 7.2 pending
approval for addition to the agenda.  

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Matt Deane
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked]

_____end of cover page, beginning of document______________

Japan National Activity Report to the Plenary Meeting of JTC 1/SC 22, August
2002

1. National Activities for International Standardization in Japan
- SC 22 of Information Technology Standards Commission of Japan (ITSCJ) is
working as a Japanese National Committee for ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22. SC 22
meetings are held 6 times per year and some additional ad-hoc meetings are
held if necessary.
- There are ten working groups (COBOL WG, Fortran WG, Ada WG, C WG, Lisp WG,
Prolog WG, POSIX WG, C++ WG, Internationalization WG, and Language
Independent Issues WG), and an ad hoc committee for C# and CLI under this
committee to cope with activities of JTC 1/SC 22. VDM/SL and Z are covered
by another group (Formal Description Technique Sub Working Group) in ITSCJ
with close liaison with our SC 22. There are no corresponding WGs to WG 3
(APL), and WG 13 (Modula-2).
- Each group has been participating actively in the corresponding
international working group.
- Additional activities to be reported are as follows:

C# and CLI ad hoc committee
- Japanese SC22 has been serving as a pool of specialists on various IS
proposals that come from other sources than JTC 1. This year, we have formed
an ad hoc committee for DIS 23270 (C# language specification), 23271 (CLI)
and DTR 23272(TR for CLI) proposed by ECMA based on the Fast-track
procedure. We have had good studies including a lecture by R. Jaeschke.
Recommendations were issued as to the Japan National Body response to JTC 1,
and are ready to participate in the upcoming Disposition Meeting at Hawaii
from Sep. 30.

COBOL WG
- Mr. Wataru Takagi, a member of COBOL WG, has been working as the Project
Editor for TR 19755, Information technology -- Programming languages --
Object finalization for Programming language COBOL.

C WG
- Translation work of ISO/IEC 9899:1999 started in October 1999 and has been
completed in 2001. JIS standard will be published shortly in 2002.

C++ WG
- Translation work of ISO/IEC 14882:1998 into Japanese started in May 1999.
Draft JIS standard of C++ will be prepared by the end of September 2002.

2. Development of National Standards
The Japanese national standards are known as Japanese Industrial Standards
(JISs). The current status of JISs in the area of SC 22 is as follows: 

1) JISs established before 2001
- C (JIS X 3010: 1993) = ISO/IEC 9899:1990
- C (JIS X 3010: 1996) = ISO/IEC 9899 AMD 1:1995
- COBOL (JIS X 3002: 1992) = ISO/IEC 1989:1985 + AMD 1 
- ECMAScript (JIS X 3060: 2000) = ISO/IEC 16262:1998
- Fortran Part 1 (JIS X 3001-1: 1998) = ISO/IEC 1539-1:1997
- Fortran Part 2 (JIS X 3001-2: 1998) = ISO/IEC 1539-2:1994
- Fortran Part 3 (JIS X 3001-3: 2000) = ISO/IEC 1539-3:1999
- Framework for Internationalization (JIS TR X 0030: 2000) = ISO/IEC TR
11017: 1998
- Full BASIC (JIS X 3003: 1993) = ISO/IEC 10279: 1991 
- Guidelines for Programming Language Standards Preparation (JIS TR X 0031:
2001)= ISO/IEC TR 10176: 1998
- ISLisp (JIS X 3012: 1998) = ISO/IEC 13816:1997
- MUMPS (JIS X 3011: 1995) = ISO/IEC 11756:1990
- Pascal (JIS X 3008: 1994) = ISO/IEC 7185:1990 
- PCTE Part 1 (JIS X 3050: 1996) = ISO/IEC 13719-1:1995
- POSIX Part 1 (JIS X 3030: 1994) = ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990
- POSIX Part 2 (JIS X 3031: 2001) = ISO/IEC 9945-2:1993
- Prolog Part 1: General Core (JIS X 3013: 2001) = ISO/IEC 13211-1:1995

2) JISs published in FY2001
- Ada (JIS X 3009: 2002) = ISO/IEC 8652:1995

3) JISs prepared in FY 2001 or before and to be published in FY 2002
- Fortran Part 2 (JIS X 3001-2: 2002) = ISO/IEC 1539-2: 2000
- C (JIS X 3010: 2002) = ISO/IEC 9899:1999 

4) Draft JISs being prepared in FY 2002
- C++ = ISO/IEC 14882:1998 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------