Subject: SC 22 N 3448 - SC 22/WG 13 Business Plan/Convener's Report

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:43:07 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3448

TITLE:
SC 22/WG 13 Business Plan/Convener's Report 

DATE ASSIGNED:
2002-07-29

SOURCE:
SC 22/WG 13 Convenor (M. Schoenhacker)

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other document (Open)

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:
This document was received by the July 26 deadline, so it will be reviewed
at the upcoming SC 22 Plenary under Agenda
Item 8.6.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Matt Deane
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

______end of cover page, beginning of document__________

       Business Plan and Convenor's Report
       ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG13 (Modula-2)

       Document ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG13 D265

PERIOD COVERED:
July 2001 - July 2002

SUBMITTED BY:
Convener of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG13
Dr. Martin Schoenhacker
Vienna University of Technology
Department of Computer Graphics and Algorithms
Karlsplatz 13/1861
A-1040 Vienna, Austria
Phone: +43 1 58801 18617
Fax:   +43 1 58801 18699
EMail: [email-masked]

1. MANAGEMENT SUMMARY

1.1 JTC1/SC22/WG13 STATEMENT OF SCOPE

Development of ISO/IEC Standards related to the programming language
Modula-2.

1.2 PROJECT REPORT

1.2.1 COMPLETED PROJECTS

JTC1.22.18.01 -- IS 10514-1 Modula-2, Base Language

   IS 10514-1 was published June 1st, 1996.
   So far, no serious problems have been reported.

JTC1.22.18.02 -- DIS 10514-3 Objected Oriented Modula-2

   IS 10514-3 was published December 19th, 1998.
   So far, no serious problems have been reported.

JTC1.22.18.04 -- DIS 10514-2 Generics in Modula-2

   IS 10514-2 was published December 19th, 1998.
   So far, no serious problems have been reported.

1.2.2 PROJECTS UNDERWAY

None.

1.2.3 CANCELLED PROJECTS

The following terminated projects were formerly assigned to WG13:

JTC1.22.03 -- Modula-2 to Posix Binding

JTC1.22.05 -- Support for Commercial Programming in Modula-2

JTC1.22.06 -- Further support for Concurrent Programming in Modula-2

JTC1.22.15436 -- Interfacing Modula-2 to C

1.2.4 COOPERATION AND COMPETITION

WG13 has always tried to cooperate with as many compiler writers as
possible, and contacts to industry still work quite well.  Although
the general public is unfortunately not well aware of Modula-2,
there are various important applications.  In particular, the
language is being used in the implementation of safety-critical
and/or embedded systems, e.g. in car electronics and automated train
control.  Also, it is being used as the implementation language for
a word processing package with an installed base of more than 20.000
copies, as well as for teaching purposes at various universities.

Where appropriate, WG13 has established contact with other SC22
working groups.  There is no apparent direct competition with any
other efforts.

2.0 PERIOD REVIEW

No WG13 standards are due for periodic review in 2002. For 2003,
we recommend that IS 10514-2 and IS 10514-3 should be kept "as is",
since no problem reports have been received.

2.1 MARKET REQUIREMENTS

WG13 reacted to strong demands by the Modula-2 user community in
preparing extensions to IS 10514-1.  In particular, there was
popular demand for Object Oriented Extensions, and it is hoped that
the publication of IS 10514-3 will lead to a uniform way of handling
these extensions in the available compilers.  With regard to
Generics, there was popular demand mainly from academia which has
also been met in IS 10514-2.  WG13 is currently not aware of any
other demands or concerns regarding Modula-2.

2.2 ACHIEVEMENTS

IS 10514-1 (Modula-2, Base Language) was published June 1st, 1996.
IS 10514-2 (Generics in Modula-2) was published December 19th, 1998.
IS 10514-3 (Object Oriented Extensions) was published December 19th,
            1998.

The WG13 Web site can be found at http://sc22wg13.twi.tudelft.nl/

3. OTHER ITEMS

This section lists other items that are not part of the "Business
Plan" but are appropriate for the Convener's Report.

3.1 PROJECT EDITORS

The following individuals serve as project editors and backup
project editors, respectively:

JTC1.22.18.01 -- Modula-2, Base Language
     Cornelis Pronk (main), Martin Schoenhacker (backup)

JTC1.22.18.02 -- Object Oriented Modula-2
     Albert Wiedemann (main), John Lancaster (backup)

JTC1.22.18.04 -- Generics in Modula-2
     Richard J. Sutcliffe (main), Cornelis Pronk (backup)

JTC1.22.15436 -- Interfacing Modula-2 to C
     Eberhard Enger (main), Martin Schleusser (backup)

3.2 ELECTRONIC DOCUMENT DISTRIBUTION

WG13 has been working over e-mail for a considerable time now, and
recent decisions within the working group have mostly been taken
using e-mail.  This seems the only practical way for the future, in
particular as travel budgets appear to be shrinking everywhere.

In addition to the e-mail reflector, WG13 has its own ftp and Web
sites which have recently been expanded to offer more services (e.g.
FAQ and Publications) to the Modula-2 community.

3.3 RECENT MEETINGS

The 12th meeting of WG13 took place at the University of Linz,
Linz, Austria, March 17th-18th, 1997.

3.4 FUTURE MEETINGS

No future meetings are anticipated.

3.5 DISBANDMENT OF WORKING GROUP

REQUEST TO SC22 PLENARY 2002:
There are no open projects in WG13, and the working group does not
anticipate any future business, with the possible exception of
small maintenance changes to the published standards.
We therefore request that WG13 should be officially disbanded.
The current project editor teams will still be available, and the
convenor will still be available as a single point of contact.