Subject: SC 22 N 3443 - National Body Activity Report from The Netherlands

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:43:17 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3443

TITLE:
National Body Activity Report from The Netherlands

DATE ASSIGNED:
2002-07-26

SOURCE:
National Body of The Netherlands

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
National Body Contribution

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:
This document will be reviewed at the upcoming SC 22 Plenary under Agenda
Item 7.2 as well as Agenda Item 12.5.  

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Matt Deane
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked]

_____end of cover page, beginning of document______________

National Activity Report from the Netherlands
             to the SC22 Plenary, Saariselka (Finland)
                         26-30 August 2002

The Dutch Programming Language Committee has currently 17 members
and meets 2-3 times per year to discuss SC22 issues and, when
necessary, relevant JTC1 documents.

There is active participation from the Netherlands in the SC22 WGs
on COBOL, Fortran, Ada, bindings, C, POSIX and C++.  Other SC22
projects, such as APL, Modula-2, VDM, Prolog and
Internationalization are followed on a more individual basis.

Like in other National Bodies, the Dutch SC22 committee is
suffering from funding problems: it proves very difficult to find
participants (with supportive employers) who are willing to
sacrifice time to review documents and come to meetings (this is
not the hard part), but who are also willing and able to pay the
required NNI fee.  A solution to this problem is clearly not
obvious, and there is a risk that (the solution of) this problem
may have consequences for international participation of Dutch
experts.

As input on agenda item 12.5 (Procedures for submittal of
contributions to SC22 by non-liaison organizations) and a
(possible) discussion on issues around ISO/IEC 15897 and the
procedures for the registration of cultural conventions we offer
the following observations and proposals:
  +  The CEN Technical Board (CEN BT) has, by adopting resolution
     BT 12/2002, decided (a.o.)
     - to withdraw ENV 12005:1996 - Procedures for European
     Registration of Cultural Elements;
     - to delete the workitem on the European default locale; and
     - to declare TC304 dormant.
     It is assumed that this also means that the registration
     authority, as defined in ENV 12005 ceases to exist.
  +  In the light of the above resolutions, the Netherlands
     proposes
     - to withdraw the locales submitted by CEN TC304 (SC22 N3265);
     and
     - to instruct WG20 to re-address the comments of the
     Netherlands on the revision of ISO/IEC 15897 (see SC22 N3341)
     before the document is progressed to its next stage.