Subject: SC 22 N 3410 - SC 22/WG 17 Business Plan/Convener's Report

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:01:08 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3410

TITLE:
SC 22/WG 17 Business Plan/Convener's Report 

DATE ASSIGNED:
2002-06-20

SOURCE:
SC 22/WG 17 Convenor (J. Hodgson)

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other document (Open)

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:
This document will be reviewed at the upcoming SC 22 Plenary under Agenda
Item 8.10. 

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Matt Deane
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked]

____end of cover page, beginning of document_____________

Business Plan and Convener's Report
JTC1/SC22/WG17 - Programming Language Prolog

Period Covered:
September 2001- August 2002
Submitted by:
Jonathan Hodgson
Convener, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22/WG 17
St. Joseph's University,
Philadelphia. PA 19131
USA
Email: [email-masked] &lt;mailto:[email-masked]&gt; 

1.        Management Summary

1.1        JTC1/SC22/WG17 Statement of Scope

Development and maintenance of ISO/IEC standards related to programming
language Prolog

1.2        Project Report

1.2.1        Completed Projects

ISO/IEC 13211-2. Programming language Prolog-part 2 Modules

1.2.2        Projects Underway

Discussion of contents for a third part of ISO/IEC 13211

1.2.3        Canceled Projects

None

1.3        Cooperation and Competition

2.        Period Review

2.1        Market Requirements

Prolog is a niche language. It is extensively used by a small number of
users mainly for applications in configuration, constraint handling and
natural language. It is taught in a significant number of universities

2.2        Achievements

Roger Scowen is preparing a draft on Definite Clause Grammars for potential
inclusion in Part 3. The Japanese national body has agreed to put together a
draft on global variables. A group from the Polytechnic University of Madrid
is working on foreign language interface for Prolog.

2.3        Resources

WG17 meets as needed, usually once a year, and works by electronic
correspondence between meetings. Four countries are participating in
meetings: Germany, Japan, the UK, and the USA.

3.        Focus Next Work Period

With the topics for inclusion in part 3 chosen. An informal set of editors
for the drafts is in place. Once the first drafts are available for 
discussion we will seek to appoint an editor for part 3.

3.1        Deliverables

A draft on Definite Clause grammars, anticipated late 2002.  A draft on
globals. It is hoped to have  a preliminary version by early 2003.   A draft
of foreign language interface.  It is hoped to have  a preliminary version
by early 2003.

3.2        Strategies

None.

3.2.1        Risks

WG17 suffers from a decline in interest in supporting standardization
efforts.

3.2.2        Opportunities

Options for future work were discussed at an open meeting held during the
Practical Application of Prolog and Constraints programming in London April
1999. A additional email, survey of interested parties produced a list of 
five topics for potential standardization. Although some countries indicated
a willingness to re-enter the Prolog standardization arena support is still
weak.
 
3.3        Work Program Priorities

Preparation of drafts for incorporation into a CD for a third part of
ISO/IEC 13211

4.        Other Items

This section includes items that are part of the Convener's Report, but not
part of the business plan.

WG17 needs to actively seek additional membership. The favorable response
of the group in Madrid is promising in this regard.

4.1        Action Requests at the Forthcoming Plenary

The recent ISO requirement that comments on  ballots be in specified formats
fails
to provide for preparing such comments using  non proprietary software. It
is requested
that SC22 ask for an open systems template (such as LaTeX or HTML) for
preparing these comments.
 
4.2        Schedule

None.

4.3        WG17 Meetings

4.3.1        Recent Meetings

None.

4.3.2        Future Meetings

It is hoped to hold a meeting in early 2003.