Subject: Document SC22 N2331 - SC22 Chair Report of Reengineering Ad Hoc

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 17:16:18 -0500 (EST)

____________________beginning of title page ___________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2331

November 1996

TITLE:                  SC22 Chairman's Report on the JTC 1 Ad Hoc on
                        Reengineering Meeting

SOURCE:                 Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:              N/A

STATUS:                 N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:        N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:          Chairman's Report

ACTION:                 To SC22 Member Bodies, WG Conveners and HODs
                        for information.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

________________________end of title page, beginning of report ______

   SC22 Chairman's Report on JTC1 Ad Hoc on Re-engineering Meeting

I participated on your behalf at the meeting of the JTC1 Ad Hoc on
Re-engineering that met in New York on 20 October - 1 November 1996. 

The principal results of the Ad Hoc are as follows: 

* The project management reviews indicating the number of National Bodies
that are active in each project were analyzed by the Ad Hoc.  The Ad Hoc
decided to recommend to JTC1 that any project with less than five active
National Bodies (with certain exceptions) be canceled; if an SC is still
interested in these projects, the SC can submit an NP for consideration
and if approved, the project could then continue.  The recommendations for
project cancellation will be considered at the December JTC1 plenary. 

  SC22 survived this test exceedingly well since almost all projects have
at least five NBs participating.  The only SC22 projects with less than
five are the PCTE projects which were the result of fast-track balloting
and an exception was made for fast-track situations.

* The Ad Hoc recommended to JTC1 a reorganization of the SC structure.  I
am pleased to report that the recommendation is for SC22 to remain as is
except for the addition of the language bindings work in SC24.  Most of
this work has been completed and some is being canceled so I expect that
this will actually result in very little, if any, active project work in
SC22. 

* The Ad Hoc recommended a new NP acceptance criteria be added to the NP
process and requested NB review and comment by 1 December. 

* The Ad Hoc developed a proposed Business Plan Outline/Template for use
by JTC1 and its SCs and requested NB review and comment by 1 December. 

* The Ad Hoc recommended a new statement of JTC1's scope, mission, goals
and objectives for approval at the December JTC1 plenary. 

* The Ad Hoc is particularly interested in the development of
market-oriented standards and felt that such standards are associated with
key business areas.  It developed a concept of "business teams" to analyze
the business requirements for existing and new standards and
specifications within key business areas.  This concept will be proposed
to the December JTC1 plenary. 

Further details will be contained in the report of the meeting which will
be distributed by the SC22 Secretariat as soon as available.  If you have
comments on any of the output of this Ad Hoc, the most effective way to
express it to JTC1 will be through your National Body.  

__________________ end of document SC22 N2331 __________________________