Subject: CORRECTED Document SC22 N2326 - Voting Summary on LB 2175 - PCTE

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 13:18:14 -0500 (EST)

(Note:  The only change in this corrected copy is on the detailed summary
page where Slovenia, in the original transmission, was counted as "not
voting" and did in fact vote "approval".  The Slovenia vote was corrected
counted in the overall summary page.)

__________________beginning of title page ______________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2326 
Corrected

November 1996

TITLE:               Summary of Voting on Proposed Draft Amendment 1:
                     Fine-Grain Extensions to ISO/IEC 13719-1: Infor-
                     mation Technology - Portable Common Tool Environ-
                     ment (PCTE), Part 1: Abstract Specification

SOURCE:              Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:           JTC 1.22.47.3

STATUS:              N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:     SC22 N2175

DOCUMENT TYPE:       Summary of Voting

ACTION:              To SC22 Member Bodies for information.

                     To WG22 for preparation of a Disposition of Comments
                     Report and a recommendation on the further processing
                     of the PDAM.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA USA 22153
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

________________end of title page, beginning of summary page ____________

                       SUMMARY OF VOTING ON

Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N2175
Circulated By:               JTC 1/SC22
Circulation Date:            07-08-1996
Closing Date:                10-21-1996

SUBJECT:  Proposed Draft Amendment 1: Fine-Grain Object Extensions to
          ISO/IEC 13719-1: Information Technology - Portable Common
          Tool Environment (PCTE), Part 1: Abstract Specification

________________________________________________________________________
The following responses have been received on the subject of approval:

"P" Members supporting approval
          without comment:                11

"P" Members supporting approval
          with comment:                    1

"P" Members not supporting approval:       0

"P" Members abstaining                     6

"P" Members not voting:                    3  

_____________________________________________________________________
Secretariat Action:

The comment accompanying the abstention vote from Austria and Sweden 
was: "Lack of Expert resources".  The comment accompanying the abstention
vote from France and the Netherlands was: "Lack of resources".

The comments accompanying the affirmative vote from the United Kingdom
have been forwarded to WG22 for preparation of a Disposition of Comments
Report and a recommendation on the further processing of the PDAM.

_________________end of summary page; beginning of detailed summary ____

                 ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22  LETTER BALLOT SUMMARY

PROJECT NO:    JTC1.22.47.3

SUBJECT:  Proposed Draft Amendment 1: Fine-Grain Object Extensions to 
          ISO/IEC 13719-1, Information Technology - Portable Common Tool
          Environment (PCTE), Part 1: Abstract Specification

Reference Document No:  N2059, N2175    Ballot Document No:  N2175
Circulation Date: 07-08-1996            Closing Date:  10-21-1996 
                                                              
Circulated To: SC22 P, L        Circulated By: Secretariat

SUMMARY OF VOTING AND COMMENTS RECEIVED

              Approve   Disapprove Abstain Comments   Not Voting
'P' Members

Australia       (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Austria         ( )       ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Belgium         ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Brazil          (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )    
Canada          (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
China           ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Czech Republic  (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Denmark         (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Egypt           (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Finland         (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
France          ( )       ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Germany         ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )
Japan           (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Netherlands     ( )       ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Romania         ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Slovenia        (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Sweden          ( )       ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Switzerland     (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
UK              (X)       ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )
Ukraine         (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
USA             ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )

'O' Members

Argentina       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Bulgaria        ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Cuba            ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Greece          ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Hungary         ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Iceland         ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
India           ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Indonesia       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Italy           ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Korea Rep       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
New Zealand     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Norway          ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Poland          ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Portugal        ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Russian fed     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Singapore       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Thailand        ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Turkey          ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Yugoslavia      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )

___________________end of detailed summary; beginning of comments ________
   Technical comments to accompany UK approval vote to PDAM ballot for
                 PDAM1 to ISO/IEC 13719-1 (SC22 N2175)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clause F.4 (Concurrency and integrity control) does not make sufficiently
clear the relation between locks on fine-grain objects and locks on their
clusters.  In particular:

- Is the translation of a lock on a fine-grain object to one of the
cluster transparent to the application? - probably yes.

- Is a lock on a cluster equivalent to locks on all the fine-grain objects
in the cluster? - presumably yes.

- Can LOCK_SET_OBJECT and LOCK_UNSET_OBJECT be used on fine-grain
objects? - presumably yes.

- If 2 locks are acquired to different fine-grain objects in a cluster
via LOCK_SET_OBJECT and the first is then released via LOCK_UNSET_OBJECT,
does the second still hold or not? - presumably not.

N.B.  this does not affect the corresponding PDAMs to the other 2 parts
of ISO/IEC 13719 so the UK response to those PDAM ballots (SC22 N2176,
N2177) should be approval without comment.

________________________________end of document SC22 N2326 ___________