Subject: SC22 N2303 - Report of SC22 Mgmt Review

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 15:50:24 -0400 (EDT)

___________________beginning of title page _______________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2303

October 1996

TITLE:               SC22 Report to ISO/IEC JTC 1 on SC22 Program
                     Management Review

SOURCE:              Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:           N/A

STATUS:              N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:     N2999

DOCUMENT TYPE:       N/A

ACTION:              To SC22 Member Bodies, WG Conveners and HODs for
                     information.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153   USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

____________________end of title page, beginning of text _________________

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

October 3, 1996

Ms. Lisa Rajchel
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1
American National Standards Institute
11 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036

          SUBJECT:  SC22 Program Management Review

Dear Lisa:

Reference is made to JTC 1 N4079, dated April 17, 1996, subject:  Need for
More Effective Program Management, and JTC 1 N4174, subject:  JTC 1
Direction to SCs on Work Program Management Responsibilities.  These
documents request the JTC 1 Subcommittees to conduct reviews of their work
programs, on a project-by-project basis and report the results of the
review to ISO/IEC JTC 1.

Attached please find the results of the review conducted by JTC 1/SC22 at
its Plenary meeting on September 23-27, 1996.  The results use the
criteria contained in JTC 1 N4174.

JTC 1/SC22 wishes to point out the additional criteria used in their
evaluation:

a.  SC22 did not evaluate published documents.  More guidance is needed on
how to rate published standards since criteria contained in JTC 1 N4174
could not be applied meaningfully.  Further, SC22 notes that published
standards are already evaluated during the five-year review process.

b.  The following SC22 Member Bodies participated in the evaluation:
Austria, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan,
Netherlands, Switzerland, United Kingdom and the United States of America.
In some cases, Member Bodies known to be participating in specific
projects were also counted even though they were not present.  (For
example, SC22 was aware of the participation of Sweden in Projects JTC
1.22.33 and JTC 1.22.34, and the participation of Austrialia in Project
22.45.)

c.  It should also be noted that not all Member Bodies evaluated all
projects.

In cases where the project involved the fast-track process and was
assigned to SC22 by JTC 1, that fact is noted.  Also noted are actions
taken by SC22 at the Plenary concerning the withdrawal of projects which
did not meet the criteria for further development action (e.g., less than
5 Member Bodies were participating).

Should you require any additional information in this regard, please do
not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely

WILLIAM C. RINEHULS
Secretariat, JTC 1/SC22

Attachments:
    SC22 Program Management Review

cc:  R. Follett, Chairman SC22

________________________beginning attachment _________________________
SC22 Program Management Review

Project        Title                      Stage     Rating              
______________________________________________________________________
22.01.07       Revision of ISO 1989:1985  3         7 -a; 4 - b; 0 -c
	       (COBOL)   

22.02.01.01    Revision of ISO 1539:1991, 4         9 -a; 1 - b; 0 -c 
               Part 1 (Fortran)

22.02.01.02    Floating Point Exception   2         8 - a; 2 - b; 0-c 
               Handling

22.02.01.03    Interoperability Between   2         8 - a; 2 - b; 0 -c  
               Fortran and C

22.02.01.04    Exhanced Derived Type      2         8 - a; 2 - b; 0 -c  
	       Facilities

22.02.02       Revision of ISO 1539-2     2         8 - a; 2 - b; 0 - c 
               Fortran, Length Character      
	       String Module

22.09.02       Character Repertoire for   2         5 - a; 5 - b; 2 - c
               APL      

22.10.04       Ada Complex Functions      3         8 - a; 3 - b; 0 -c  

22.10.05       Ada Complex Elementary     3         8 - a; 3 - b; 0 - c 
	       Functions

22.13          Revision of TR 10176       4         5 - a; 7 - b; 0 -c
               (Guidelines for the                            
               Preparation of Prog Lan-
               guage Standards)

22.17          Language-Independent       5         5 - a; 6 - b; 0 -c  
	       Datatypes

22.18.02       Object-Oriented Exten-     3         7 - a; 1 - b; 1 - c 
               sions to Modula-2                 

22.18.04       Generics in Modula-2       3         7 - a; 1 - b; 1 - c  

22.18.05       Support for Commercial     2         3 - a; 1 - b; 5 - c
               Programming                          
                      (Comment:  Project withdrawn by SC22)     

22.18.06       Further Support for        2         3 - a; 1 - b; 5 - c      
               Concurrent Programming in       
	       Modula-2
                      (Comment:  Project withdrawn by SC22)

22.21.01.01    POSIX System Interface     2         5 - a; 5 - b; 0 -c                 
               (Language Independent)                  

22.21.01.03.01 Addendum to ISO 9945-1:    3         7 - a; 4 - b; 0 - c
               Dist Services - Trans-              
	       parent File Service

22.21.01.03.03 Addendum to ISO 9945-1:    3         7 - a; 4 - b; 0 - c 
               Dist Services - Protocol         
	       Independent Interfaces

22.21.02.03    Addendum 1 on Batch        5         6 - a; 5 - b; 0 - c 
               Services - Portability    
	       Extensions

22.21.03.03    POSIX System Adminis-      3         7 - a; 3 - b; 1 - c 
               tration - Print               
 	       Administration

22.21.03.04    POSIX System Adminis-      3         7 - a; 3 - b; 1 - c
               tration - Software        
               Administration

22.21.03.05    POSIX System Adminis-      3         7 - a; 3 - b; 1 - c 
               tration - User                                               
	       Administration

22.21.04.01    POSIX C Binding            4         8 - a; 3 - b; 0 - c 
               Technical Corrigendum 1          

22.21.04.02    POSIX Ada Binding, Part 1  5         6 - a; 3 - b; 1 - c
       
               POSIX Ada Binding, Part 2  2         6 - a ; 3 - b; 1 - c          
	       (realtime)

22.22.02       Prolog Modules             3         7 - a ; 4 - b; 0 - c     

22.23          Programming Language Lisp  4         6 - a; 3 - b; 1 - c

22.24.01       Programming Language       3         5 - a; 3 - b; 3 - c 
	       Extended APL

22.24.02       Character Repertoire       2         5 - a; 3 - b; 3 - c 
               Extended APL

22.27.02       Addendum to FIMS - COBOL   5         0 - a; 3 - b; 6 - c
               Binding
	           (Comment:  Project withdrawn by SC22     
      
22.29.01       Vienna Development         5         6 - a; 5 - b; 0 - c 
               Method/Specification     
               Language, Part 1: Base
               Language               
                                                            
22.29.02       Vienna Development         2         6 - a ; 5 - b; 0 - c
               Method/Specification
               Language, Part 2: 
               Modules

22.30.01       Framework for              5         6 - a; 6 - b; 0 - c  
               Internationalization

22.30.02.02    International String       3         5 - a; 6 - b; 1 - c
               Ordering

22.30.02.03    Functionality for          2         5 - a; 6 - b; 1 - c 
               Internationalization - 
               Specification of
               Cultural Conventions                  

22.31          Ada/SQL Interface           5         6 - a; 4 - b; 0 - c 
                         
22.32          Programming Language C++    3         7 - a; 4 - b; 0 - c 

22.33          Elemenary Numerical         3         5 - a; 6 - b; 0 - c 
               Functions

22.34          Complex Floating Point      2         5 - a; 6 - b; 0 - c
               Arithmetic and Complex                    
               Elementary Numeric
               Functions

22.35          Ada Extensions and User Run 5         6 - a; 4 - b; 0 - c  
               Time Executive Interface           

22.37          Revision of IS 13210        3         5 - a; 6 - b; 0 - c
               Test methods for Measuring                              
	       Conformance to POSIX

22.38          Guide to POSIX Open         5         8 - a; 3 - b; 0 - c
               Systems Environments             

22.39          POSIX - Part 1: System API  3         9 - a; 2 - b; 0 - c 
               Addendum   

22.40          POSIX - Part 1: System API  2         7 - a; 4 - b; 0 - c 
               Addendum for Realtime                 
                                                      
22.41          POSIX - Part 2: Shell and   3         8 - a; 3 - b; 0 - c 
               Utility Addendum    
                                  
22.42          POSIX - Part 1: System API  3         8 - a; 3 - b; 0 - c 
               Security Addendum   
                                     
22.43          POSIX - Part 2: Shell and   3         8 - a; 3 - b; 0 - c 
               Utility Security          
               Administration                      

22.45          Z Notation                  3         5 - a; 6 - b; 0 - c 

22.46          Guidelines for Preparation  2         5 - a; 6 - b; 1 - c 
               of Language Independent                  
               Service Specification

22.47.2        PCTE Object Orientation     2         4 - a; 6 - b; 1 - c                
               Extensions
                 (Comment:  This project is a follow-on to a fast 
                 track project assigned to SC22.  Follow-on work 
                 is being carried out in conjunction with ECMA)

22.47.3        PCTE Fine Grain Objects     3         4 - a; 6 - b; 1 - c 
               Extensions
	         (Comment:  This project is a follow-on to a fast
                 track project assigned to SC22.  Follow-on work
                 is being carried out in conjunction with ECMA)

22.47.4        PCTE Part 4: C++  Binding   2         4 - a; 6 - b; 1 - c 
                 (Comment:  This project is a follow-on to a fast
                 track project assigned to SC22.  Follow-on work
                 is being carried out in conjunction with ECMA)

22.47.5        IDL Binding to PCTE         2         4 - a; 6 - b; 1 - c 
                 (Comment:  This project is a follow-on to a fast
                 track project assigned to SC22.  Follow-on work
                 is being carried out in conjunction with ECMA)

22.14515-1.01  Initial System API          5         5 - a; 6 - b; 0 - c

22.14515-1.02  Realtime Extensions         3         5 - a; 6 - b; 0 - c

22.14515-2     Shell and Utilities Test    3         5 - a; 6 - b; 0 - c
               Methods

22.14766       Guide for POSIX National    2         5 - a; 6 - b; 0 - c
	       Profiles

22.14977       Method of Defining          5         2 - a; 5 - b; 3 - c    
               Syntactic Meta-language
                  (Comment:  Fast track assigned to SC22)

22.15145       FORTH Programming Language  5         3 - a; 5 - b; 1 - c 
                  (Comment:  Fast track assigned to SC22)

22.15291       Ada Semantic Interface      2         8 - a; 1 - b; 0 - c
               Specification

________________________end of SC22 N2303 _______________________________