Subject: SC22 N2299 - Plenary Minutes

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 18:02:29 -0400 (EDT)

____________________beginning of title page ______________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2299

October 1996

TITLE:                Minutes of the Ninth Plenary Meeting of ISO/IEC
                      JTC 1/SC22, London, United Kingdom, on September
                      23-27, 1996

SOURCE:               Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:            N/A

STATUS:               N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:      N2298, N2301, N2302

DOCUMENT TYPE:        Minutes of JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

ACTION:               To SC22 Member Bodies, WG Conveners and HODs
                      for action or information, as applicable.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153   USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

___________________________end of title page _____________________________
___________________________beginning of text _____________________________
                          MINUTES OF THE NINTH PLENARY OF
                                ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
                              LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM
                               September 23-27, 1996

1.   OPENING OF THE MEETING
     
The Chairman of JTC 1/SC22, Mr. Robert Follett, officially opened the
Ninth Plenary of JTC 1/SC22 a 1000 hours on September 13,1996.  Mr. Brian
Meek, on behalf of the British Standards Institution (BSI), welcomed the
SC22 delegates to London.  He then invited all delegates to a dinner in
their honor on Wednesday, September 25, 1996 and an informal reception on
Monday, September 23, 1996.

2.   CHAIRMAN'S REMARKS
     
Mr. Follett indicated that he would discuss the meeting plans under 
Agenda Item 5.

3.   ROLL CALL OF DELEGATES
     
The list of delegates in attendance at the Ninth Plenary of JTC 1/SC22
is documented in SC22 N2302.

4.   APPOINTMENT OF DRAFTING COMMITTEE
     
The following delegates were appointed to the drafting committee:
     
          Mr. Keld Simonsen (Chairman)
          Mr. John Benito
          Mr. Toshiaki Kurokawa
          Mr. Michael Pickett

5.   ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA
     
The revised agenda for the meeting, contained in SC22 N2254, as 
revised, was adopted.  (The final agenda for the meeting as adopted
is contained in document SC22 N2298.

6.   REPORT OF THE SECRETARIAT
     
Mr. William Rinehuls, Secretariat of SC22, referred delegates to 
document SC22 N2142, the SC22 Secretariat Report for this meeting,
noting that the Membership Status for the Russian Federation had
changed from "O" status to "P" status since the Report was published.  He
also noted that a request had just been received from Ireland for "P"
status on SC22 and that it had been distributed to the SC22
participants in Document SC22 N2269.  He requested that all Conveners  
provide him with corrections and updates to the Convener and Project 
Editor personnel, as contained in the SC22 Secretariat Report, before
the end of the meeting.
     
Mr. Rinehuls also discussed his practice of distributing comments
accompanying SC22 ballots to SC22 Working Group Conveners in advance
of the closing date of the ballots when the Working Group had
a meeting scheduled in shortly before or after the ballot closing
date.  He noted Paragraph 9.6.5 of the JTC 1 Procedures which only
restricts distribution of comments accompanying ballots at the DIS
stage.  SC22 agreed that comments received with ballots on SC22 issues can
be distributed during the period the ballot is open.  
     
Mr. Rinehuls also reminded the Working Group Conveners of the 
requirement in the JTC 1 Directives that meeting notices be
distributed to the SC22 Member Bodies four months in advance of the
Working Group meeting.

6.1  SC22 PROJECT INFORMATION
     
Mr. Rinehuls referred delegates to document SC22 N2255, the updated 
SC22 Programme of Work and project information in SC22 N2142, the
SC22 Secretariat Report.  He requested all Conveners to
provide him with corrections and updates related to their respective 
projects before the end of the meeting.

6.2  OUTSTANDING ACTIONS FROM THE EIGHTH PLENARY OF SC22
     
The following resolutions of the Eighth Plenary were discussed:
     
Resolution 95-22.  Mr. Follett reported that liaisons had been 
terminated with JTC 1 Subcommittees 18, 24 and 26 pursuant to the
provisions of this Resolution.  However, SC22 liaison with
Subcommittee 27 will continue, also pursuant to the provisions of this
Resolution.
     
Resolution 95-30.  Mr. Follett noted that he had transmitted to ITTF 
the rationale for paragraph numbering developed at the Eighth Plenary
meeting and documented in document SC22 N1967.  The response from Mr.
Keith Brannon, documented in SC22 document N1997, constitutes
approval in principle of SC22 use of paragraph numbering in standards; however, it only applies on a case-by-case
basis.  In each case, the Project Editor must inform SC22 aTF, as
early as possible in the development cycle, of the requirement,
together with a rationale consistent with document SC22 N1967. SC22
must then carefully assess each request based on the rationale provided.
     
The delegates agreed that there were no action items outstanding.

6.3  JTC 1/SC22 STANDING DOCUMENTS
     
Document SC22 N2256 was reviewed and the Secretariat was requested to add
document SC22 N1967 and document SC22 N1997 to the list.  The list of JTC
1/SC22 Standing Documents will be updated accordingly.

7.   ACTIVITY REPORTS
     
7.1  REPORT OF THE CHAIRMAN
     
Mr. Follett referred delegates to document SC22 N2097 which contains his
report on the ISO/IEC JTC 1 Plenary in March 1996.  He also noted that
document SC22 N2106 contains the resolutions from that meeting.  He noted
that there were a number of items of importance to the work of SC22 which
he discussed in that report.  Many of these items are on the agenda of 
this meeting and will be discussed under those agenda items.  Others,
which were not elsewhere on the agenda, were discussed in greater detail.
     
JTC 1 IT.  Mr. Follett reported that he had drafted the comments that were
ultimately adopted by JTC 1 as indicated in the attachment to document
SC22 N2097.  However, he has received information that ISO/IEC intends to
copyright all project related document.  (See also agenda item 11.3)
     
JTC 1 SWG on Conformity Assessment.  JTC 1 approved their request which
will be address under agenda item 11.4.
     
Modification to revised DIS balloting procedures.  These modifications were
approved, addressing ISO concerns.  In summary, the revised procedures
will increase the final CD ballot period to 4 months duration to allow
time for public enquiry and reduce the DIS ballot period to 2 months.
There will also be a change in terminology for this 2-month DIS, calling
it FDIS to distinguish it from the 6- month DIS balloting which is still
applicable to the fast track process.
     
SWG-GII.  SC22 has been asked to nominate a representative to participate 
in the SWG on GII and to compile a list of standards relevant to GII.
(See also agenda item 11.1)
     
Program Management.  JTC 1 has requested National Bodies to review the
work programs of all JTC 1 Subcommittees and forward the results of these
reviews to the Subcommittee for use in management of their program.  This
was given greater urgency in July when the request was reemphasized by the
JTC 1 Ad Hoc on Reengineering.  (See also agenda item 11.2.)
     
Mr. Follett also briefly addressed the draft revision of Part 3 of the 
ISO/IEC Directives which he responded to on behalf of SC22, since comments
were required two weeks after he became aware of their existence.  The
comments were based on input he received from SC22 Member Bodies as a
result of the emailed request of comments he distributed.  The resulting
comments Mr. Follett forwarded and the response to these comments are
contained in document SC22 N2154. 

7.2  NATIONAL REPORTS
     
The following National activity reports were presented:
     
     Austria           - N2266             
     Canada            - N2275 
     Denmark           - N2272 
     France            - N2274   
     Finland           - Mr. Jaakkola provided a verbal report    
     Germany           - Dr. Giere provided a verbal report to be followed
                         up by a written one
     Ireland           - N2272   
     Japan             - N2279   
     The Netherlands   - N2277
     United Kingdom    - N2242
     USA               - N2272           
     
7.3  LIAISON REPORTS - EXTERNAL TO ISO/IEC JTC 1
     
7.3.1       CCE - Commission of the European Community
     
No report from CCE was received.
     
7.3.2       CIRF - International Institutions for Production Engineering
                   Research
          
No report from CIRF was received.
     
7.3.3       ECMA - European Computer Manufacturers Association
     
No report from ECMA was received.
     
7.3.4       EWICS - European Workshop on Industrial Computer Systems
     
No report from EWICS was received.
     
7.3.5       IFIP - International Federation for Information Processing
     
No report from IFIP was received.

7.3.6       ITU - International Telecommunication Union

No report from ITU was received.

7.4  REPORT OF LIAISON OFFICER
     
7.4.1       Liaison Officer to SC2
     
Mr. Van Wingen reported on the recent activities of SC2 as contained in
Document SC22 N2287.
     
7.4.2       Liaison Officer to SC7
     
Mr. Cote was not in attendance and no report was received.
     
7.4.3       Liaison Officer to SC21
     
Mr. Korn was not in attendance and no report was received.
     
7.4.4       Liaison Officer to SC21/WG3
     
Mr. Korn was not in attendance and no report was received.
     
7.4.5       Liaison Officer to SC1
     
Lacking any volunteers to serve as Liaison Officer to SC1, Mr. Follett
accepted responsibility on pending appointment of a permanent Liaison
Officer.

7.4.6       Liaison Officer to SC27
     
Lacking any volunteers to serve as Liaison Officer to SC27, Mr. Follett
accepted responsibility pending appointment of a permanent Liaison
Officer.

8.   WORKING GROUP REPORTS
     
8.1  WG3 - APL
     
The report of activity, prepared by Dr. Dickey, Convener of WG3, is
contained in document SC22 N2280.    Dr. Dickey presented this report.

8.2  WG4 - COBOL
     
The report of activity, prepared by Ms. Wallace, Convener of WG4, is
contained in document SC22 N2227.  Ms. Wallace presented this report.  
     
8.2.1   Request for Approval of Revised Target Dates, Project JTC
        1.22.01.07.
     
SC22 agreed to the revised target dates and the SC22 Programme of Work will
be revised accordingly.

8.3  WG5 - FORTRAN
The report of activity, prepared by Dr. Ellis, Convener of WG5, is 
contained in document SC22 N2234.  Dr. Ellis presented this report. See
also resolution 96-16.
     
8.3.1    Request for Appointment of Project Editor for Project JTC
         1.22.02.01.03.
     
This request from WG5 is contained in document SC22 N2234.  See
Resolution 96-44.
     
8.3.2    Request for Approval of New Scope and Title for Project JTC
         1.22.02.01.04.
     
This request from WG5 is contained in document SC22 N2234.  See
Resolution 96-4.
     
8.3.3    Request to Subdivide Project JTC 1.22.02.01.01

This request from WG5 is contained in document SC22 N2234, with further
elaboration in document SC22 N2234.  See Resolution 96-5.
     
The request to appoint a Project Editor for the subdividied project is also
contained in document SC22 N2234.  See Resolution 96-5.
     
The request for approval of concurrent CD Registration and CD Ballot for the
subdivided project is also contained in document SC22 N2234.  See
Resolution 96-5.

8.3.4    Request for Approval of Concurrent CD Registration and CD Ballot
         for Projects JTC 1.22.02.01.02, JTC 1.22.02.01.03 and JTC
         1.22.02.01.04.

This request from WG5 is contained in document SC22 N2234.  See
Resolutions 96-40.

8.4  WG9 - ADA
     
The report of activity, prepared by Dr. Mathis, Convener of WG9, is
contained in document SC22  N2259.  Dr. Mathis presented this report.

8.5  WG11 - BINDING TECHNIQUES
     
The report of activity, prepared by Mr. Wakker, Convener of WG11, is
contained in document SC22 N2240.  Mr. Wakker presented this report.  

8.6  WG13 - MODULA-2
     
The report of activity, prepared by Mr. Pronk, Acting Convener of WG13, is
contained in document SC22 N2196.  Mr. Pronk presented this report.  See
also resolution 96-50.
     
8.6.1    Nomination of Dr. Martin Schoenhacker (Austria) was Convener of
         WG13.
     
Noting the intent of the United Kingdom to relinquish the Secretariat
of WG13 as documented in document SC22 N2098, Austria has nominated Dr.
Martin Schoenhacker to serve as WG13 Convener (document SC22 N2196).  See
resolution 96-35.
     
8.6.2    Nomination of Mr. C. Pronk (Netherlands) as Project Editor for
         Project JTC 1.22.18.01
     
This nomination is contained in document SC22 N2196.  See resolutions 96-45
and 96-56.
     
8.6.3    Change of Title for Project JTC 1.22.18.04
     
This request is contained in document N2196.  See resolution 96-8.

8.6.4    Withdrawal of Projects JTC 1.22.18.03, JTC 1.22.18.05 and JTC
         1.22.18.06
     
This request is contained in document N2196.  See resolution 96-7.
     
8.6.5    Request to Subdivide Project JTC 1.22.18
     
This request is contained in document N2196.  SC22 agreed that this request
for subdivision should be handled as a request for an NP.  Subsequently,
document SC22 N2296 was provided which contain the proposal for an NP.
See resolution 96-9.     
     
8.6.6    Request for Concurrent PDTR Registration and PDTR Ballot for
         "Guidelines for C Binding"
     
This request is contained in document N2196.  See resolution 96-39.

8.7  WG14 - C
     
The report of activity, prepared by Mr. Benito, nominee as incoming
Convener of WG13, is contained in document SC22 N2225R.  Mr. Benito
presented this report.  See resolution 96-51.
     
8.7.1    Request for WWW Availability of Technical Corrigendum
     
This request is contained in document SC22 N2225.  See resolution 96-10.
     
8.7.2    Appointment of WG14 Convener
     
Document SC22 N2225 contains the resignation of Mr. P. J. Plauger as
Convener of WG14.  See resolution 96-36.

8.8  WG15 - POSIX
     
The report of activity, prepared by Mr. Isaak, Convener of WG15, is
contained in document SC22 N2231.  Mr. Isaak presented this report.  See
also resolution 96-16.
     
8.8.1    Request for Appointment of Project Editors
     
This request is contained in document SC22 N2231.  See resolution 96-46.
     
8.8.2    Request for Withdrawal of Projects JTC 1.22.21.02.02,  JTC
         1.22.21.01.02.01,  JTC 1.22.21.01.02.02,  JTC 1.22.21.01.04  and
         JTC 1.22.21.03.02.
   
This request is contained in document SC22 N2231.  See resolution 96-11.
    
8.8.3    Approval of WG15 Synchronization Plan
     
This request is contained in document SC22 N2231.  See resolution 96-12.
     
8.8.4    Request for Approval of SC22 Recommendation for Profiles
     
This request is contained in document SC22 N2231.  See resolution 96-15.
     
8.8.5    Request for Division of Work
     
This request is contained in document SC22 N2231.  Document SC22 N2214
contains an preliminary draft of the document for which the request for
division of work is being made.  See resolution 96-13.
     
8.8.6    Request for Endorsement of Fast Track Process for Ada POSIX
         Binding for Realtime
     
This request is contained in document SC22 N2231.  See resolution 96-14.

8.9  WG16 - LISP
     
The report of activity, prepared by Mr. Parquier, Convener of WG16,  is
contained in document SC22 N2261.  Mr. Parquier presented this report.

8.10 WG17 - PROLOG
     
The report of activity, prepared by Mr. Scowen, Convener of WG17, is 
contained in document SC22 N2238.  Mr. Scowen presented this report.

8.11 WG19 - FORMAL SPECIFICATION LANGUAGES
     
The report of activity, prepared by Mr. Andrews, Convener of WG19 and Mr.
John Nicholls, Convener of the Z Rapporteur Group, is contained in
document N2292.  Mr. Nicholls presented this report.

8.12 WG20 - INTERNATIONALIZATION
     
The report of activity, prepared by Mr. Winkler, Convener of WG20, is
contained in document SC22 N2195.  Mr. Winkler presented this report.
     
8.12.1   Request for Title Change for Project JTC 1.22.30.02.02
     
This request is contained in document SC22 N2195.  See resolution 96-17.
     
8.12.2   Request for Concurrent CD Registration and CD Ballot for Project
         JTC 1.22.30.02.03
     
This request is contained in document SC22 N2195.  See resolution 96-41.
     
8.12.3   NP for Internationalization API Standard
     
This request is contained in document SC22 N2195.  The NP is contained in
document SC22 N2295R. See resolution 96-18.

8.13 WG21 - C++
     
The report of activity, prepared by Mr. Harbison, Convener of WG21,
is contained in document SC2 N2199.  Mr. Plum, nominee as incoming
Convener of WG21, presented this report.  During discussion, Mr. Plum
reported that WG21 had a need to include paragrap numbers in CD 14882,
providing the justification for this requirement.  See resolution 96-29.
     
8.13.1   Request for Approval of Revised Target Dates, Project JTC
         1.22.32
     
SC22 agreed to the revised target dates and the SC22 Programme of Work will
be revised accordingly.

8.14 WG22 - PCTE
     
The report of activity, prepared by Mr. Minot, Convener of WG22, is
contained in document SC22 N2239.  Mr. John Dawes, a member of WG22,
presented this report.  During discussion, Mr. Dawes reported that WG22
had a need to include paragraph numbers in all parts of ISO/IEC 13719,
providing the justification for this requirement.  See resolution 96-28.
     
8.14.1   Request for Approval of Concurrent PDAM Registration and
         PDAM Ballot for Project JTC 1.22.47.2 (PDAMs2 to IS 13719-1, IS  
         13719-2, and IS 13719-3)
     
This request is contained in document SC22 N2239.  See resolution 96-43.

9.   PROJECT EDITORS REPORT
     
9.1  BASIC
     
The report of activity, prepared by Mr. Kurtz, Project Editor for Basic
Standards, is contained in document SC22 N2223.
     
It was noted that Mr. Kurtz requested SC22 reaffirm its interest in the
progression of Technical Corrigendum 1.  See resolution 96-19.

9.2  FIMS
     
The report of activity, prepared by Mr. Franz, Project Editor of the FIMS
Standard, is contained in document SC22 N2201.
     
9.2.1    Request to Withdraw Project JTC 1.22.27.02
     
This request is contained in document SC22 N2201.  See resolution 96-30.

9.3  PASCAL
     
The report of activity, prepared by Mr. Hetherington, Project Editor of Pascal
Standards, is contained in document SC22 N2216.

9.4  PL/I
     
The report of activity, prepared by Mr. Klensin, Project Editor of PL/I
Standards, is contained in document SC22 N2248.

10.  AD HOC MEETINGS
     
SC22 identified four topics requiring ad hoc group discussion:  SC2 Short
Identifiers Project; JTC 1 Implementation of IT; Conformity Assessment and
Interoperability; and Java Programming Language.
     
The Chairman of the Ad Hoc on SC2 Short Identifiers Project, Mr. Winkler,
reported on the results of the work session of this group.  The
recommendations of this ad hoc are in document SC22 N2291.  See resolution
96-2.
     
The Chairman of the Ad Hoc on JTC 1 Implementation of IT, Dr. Ellis,
reported on the results of the work session of this group.  The
recommendations of this ad hoc are in documents SC22 N2293 and N2294.  See
resolution 96-24. 
     
The Chairman of the Ad Hoc on Conformity Assessment and Interoperability,
Mr. Issak, reported on the results of the work session of this group.  The
recommendations of this ad hoc are in document SC22 N2297.  See resolution
96-26.
     
The Chairman of the Ad Hoc on Java Programming Language, Dr. Mathis,
reported on the results of the work session of this group.  The
recommendations of this ad hoc are in document LON-5, attached to these
minutes.  See resolution 96-25.

11.  ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION
     
11.1 JTC 1/SWG-GII
     
11.1.1   Call for Subcommittee Membership
     
Document SC22 N2126 requests SC22 to nominate a representative to
participate in SWG-GII.  SC22 agreed that SC22 participation would be very
useful, however, an SC22 participant could not be nominated at this time.
     
11.1.2   Identification of SC22 Projects Relevant to GII
     
Document SC22 N2127 requests SC22 to identify standards and work items
within our program of work that we feel are relevant to GII and report
these to the SWG-GII.  See resolution 96-31.

11.2 CONSIDERATION OF NATIONAL BODY REVIEWS OF SC22 PROGRAM MANAGEMENT
     
Document SC22 N2129 contains a request from ISO/IEC JTC 1 to JTC 1
Subcommittees to conduct reviews of their work programs, on a
project-by-project basis, using the following criteria:
     
"a" indicates that the National Body is actively participating and providing
resources in the development of the project;
     
"b" indicates that the National Body feels that the project should be perused in
the Subcommittee but is unable to provide standards development resources;
and
     
"c" indicates that the National Body has no interest in having the
Subcommittee development the project.
     
Further, document SC22 N2228 contains an urgent request from the JTC 1 Ad
Hoc on Reengineering to Subcommittee National Bodies to make an analysis
and requested that those Subcommittees having plenary meetings before the
due date for response to the request complete this analysis during their
plenary meeting. 
     
The results of the analysis of the SC22 Program of Work by those Member
Bodies attending the plenary and those Member Bodies that, while not
attending, did provide their analysis for SC22 consideration, will be
forwarded to JTC 1 by the SC22 Secretariat using the criteria and for
agreed by SC22.

11.3 JTC 1 AD HOC ON STRATEGY FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF IT
     
An Ad Hoc was established to deal with the issue and the results of the Ad
Hoc meeting and the SC22 action are discussed in Agenda Item 10. See also
resolution 96-24.
     
The SC22 recommendations, contained in documents SC22 N2293 and N2294,
will be presented by Mr. Follett at the next JTC 1 ad hoc meeting, the
week of September 30, 1996.
     
11.3.1   ISO Copyright Policy
     
This topic was included in the Ad Hoc deliberations discussed under Agenda
Items 10 and 11.3.  See resolution 96-24.

11.4 SC22 ACTION PLANS ON IMPLEMENTATION OF JTC 1 POLICY ON CONFORMITY
     ASSESSMENT AND INTEROPERABILITY
     
Document SC22 N2111 is a request from JTC 1 to provide action plans and
information regarding implementation of the JTC 1 policies on conformity
assessment and interoperability.  While no documents have been provided by
the SC22 Working Group Conveners, the United Kingdom submitted a
contribution circulated as document SC22 N2244.
     
An Ad Hoc was established to deal with the issue and the results of the Ad
Hoc meeting and the SC22 action are discussed in Agenda Item 10. See also
resolution 96-26.

11.5 STATUS OF SC22 WORLD WIDE WEB PAGE
     
Mr. Follett noted that the Secretariat had appointed Mr. Keld Simonsen as
Content Maintainer and Mr. Brian Meek as Assistant Content Maintainer for
the SC22 World Wide Web Page.  These appointments were made in accordance
with Resolution 95-35 from the September 1995 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary.  He
reported that we now have hot links to WG3 (under construction), WG5,
WG11, WG13, WG14, WG15, WG16 (meeting announcement only), WG20 and WG22. 
There are also historical hot links for:  WG1, WG2, WG6, WG10, and WG12.
Other items are being planned.  See also resolutions 96-47 and 96-48.
     
11.6 STATUS OF SC22 ELECTRONIC DOCUMENT DISTRIBUTION IMPLEMENTATION
     
Document SC22 N2253 contains the status report from the SC22 Secretariat on
implementation of the electronic document distribution system.
     
Mr. Simonsen volunteered to provide a central ftp site for availability of
those SC22 documents which can be accessed electronically.  
     
It was noted in this regard that there is no currently approved CD ballot
usable via email distribution and, therefore, for those CDs available via
ftp, paper copies of the CD ballot will also have to be sent to recipients
of documents made available via ftp.

11.7 MAINTENANCE OF DIS 14977 (METHOD OF DEFINING SYNTACTIC METALANGUAGE)
     
Since DIS 14977 has been approved and assigned to SC22, it is necessary to 
determine the method of maintaining the standard.  See Resolution 96-27.

11.8 MAINTENANCE OF DIS 15145 (FORTH)
     
Since DIS 15145 has been approved and assigned to SC22, it is necessary to
determine the method of maintaining the standard.  See Resolution 96-42.

 11.9 COOPERATION WITH CEN/TC304
     
Resolution 95-31 from the 1995 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary instructed WG14, WG15
and WG20 to report to SC22 on the relationship of the proposed CEN work
with the work of there respective WGs.  The WGs were also requested to
report on the need for cooperation with CEN/TC304 on those work items.
Document SC22 N2225 contains the WG14 response; document SC22 N2231
contains the WG15 response; document SC22 N2230 contains the WG20
response.  See resolution 96-21.

11.10 REQUEST FOR APPROVAL OF FAST TRACK PROCESSING OF DOCUMENT UNDER
      PROJECT JTC 1.22.47.5 - IDL BINDING TO PCTE
     
A request has been made to ISO/IEC ITTF to process ECMA 280 under the
fast track process.  SC22 has a project in its Program of Work on this
subject.  In accordance with the JTC 1 Directives, SC22 must make a
recommendation on this request.  See Resolution 96-20.

11.11 JAVA PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE
     
Document SC22 N2268 is a contribution from the United States on
standardization of the Java Programming Language.
     
An ad hoc was established to deal with this issue and the results of the 
ad hoc meeting and the SC22 action are discussed in Agenda Item 10.  See
also Resolution 96-25.
     
11.12 LIAISON WITH SC26 ANDF PROJECT
     
Document SC22 N2252 from the JTC 1 Secretariat contains a proposal for a
New Work Item for SC26 on Architecture Neutral Distribution Format (ANDF).
See Resolutions 96-22 and 96-23.

12.  ADMINISTRATIVE ISSUES
     
12.1 REVIEW OF FIVE-YEAR MEETING SCHEDULE
     
Future meetings of SC22 are scheduled as follows:
     
           1997 - Canada (confirmed) - August 18-22, 1997
           1998 - Denmark (confirmed)
           1999 - Germany (tentative)
           2000 - Japan (tentative)
           2001 - Austria (tentative)

12.2  STANDARDS FOR PERIODIC REVIEW
           
In each case, SC22 determines whether the standard should be confirmed,
withdrawn or revised.
     
12.2.1 ISO/IEC 6522:1992 - PL/I General Purpose Subset
     
12.2.2 ISO/IEC 11756:1992 - MUMPS
     
See Resolutions 96-32 and 96-33.

12.3  RETENTION OF PROJECTS NOT REACHING CD STAGE WITHIN THREE YEARS OF
      NWI APPROVAL
     
The JTC 1 Directives require the SC to which these projects are assigned to
consider, either by letter ballot or plenary vote, whether the project
shall be retained (giving specific justification) and advise the JTC 1
Secretariat of the results of this consideration.  The JTC 1 Directives
also specify that "If the SC fails to act, then the project shall
automatically be canceled by the JTC 1 Secretariat".  (Section 6.4.1.5)
     
Document SC22 N2145 contains the list of applicable projects, along with
other projects which have reached the CD stage since the document was
distributed.  See Resolution 96-34.

12.4  RETENTION OF PROJECTS NOT REACHING DIS STATE WITHIN FIVE YEARS OF
      REACHING CD STAGE
     
The JTC 1 Directives require the SC to which these projects are
assigned to consider, either by letter ballot or plenary vote, whether the
project shall be retained (giving specific justification) and advise
the JTC 1 Secretariat of the results of this consideration.  The JTC 1
Directives also specify that "If  the SC fails to act, then the project
shall automatically be canceled by the JTC 1 Secretariat".  (Section
6.4.1.6)
     
Document SC22 N2146 contains the list of applicable projects.  See Resolution
96-3.

12.5  WORKING GROUP CONVENERS APPOINTMENTS/REAPPOINTMENTS
     
12.5.1 WG9 (Mr. Mathis)
      
Document SC22 N2259, prepared by Mr. Mathis, indicates his desire to
relinquish the WG9 Convenership.  It also indicates that he will remain as
the Acting Convener until a permanent replacement can be made.  See
resolutions 96-6 and 96-49.
     
12.5.2 WG11 (Mr. Wakker)
     
See resolution 96-38.
     
12.5.3 WG19 (Mr. Andrews)
     
See resolution 96-38.
     
12.5.4 WG20 (Mr. Winkler)
     
See resolution 96-38.
     
12.5.5 WG21 (Mr. Harbison)
     
Document SC22 N2199, prepared by Mr. Harbison, indicates his desire not to
run for another term as WG21 Convener.  The Secretariat has received
correspondence from the United States National Body nominating Mr. Thomas
Plum as his successor.  See Resolution 96-37.

13.   OTHER BUSINESS
     
There was no other business discussed.

14.   APPROVAL OF RESOLUTIONS AND STATEMENT OF RESULTS
     
Resolutions 96-1 through 96-57 were adopted as indicated in document SC22
N2301.

15.   ADJOURNMENT
     
There being no further business for discussion, the Ninth Plenary meeting of
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 was adjourned at 1325 hours, September 27, 1996.
     
Respectfully submitted

WILLIAM C. RINEHULS
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
     
Attachment:
Report of the Java Programming Language ad hoc (LON-5) 

_____________________end of minutes, beginning of Attachment _____________

                                                   LON-5

Report from SC22 London, ad hoc re Java, Wednesday, September 25, 1996
Robert Mathis, Convener

AGENDA AND OUTLINE OF REPORT
Introductions (names and e-mail addresses in Attachment 1)
Input:  Why, What, Who, How, When, Where
Summary (folded into six questions)
Discussion
Report (this document)
Resolution (Attachment 5)

INTRODUCTIONS

Japan - support for Japanese langauge is inadequate in Java; others also
expressed interest in other aspects of internationalization (il8n).

SC29/WG12 MHEG - need a way to call a program class; have some now, their
next version is in CD balloting now; currently trying to get copyright
permission from Sun to embed parts of Java virtual machine in their annex.
Information for accessing SC29/WG12 information is given in Attachment 2.

IEEE - recent committee discussion on Web portable applications; top
priority perceived need is for Java byte code and virtual machine
standardization, followed closely by language and library standardization;
Attachment 3 has information on joining their e-mail redistribution list.

Netherlands - university will teach Java next year as main line first year
course; others also endorsed this need for language standardization
related to educational use.

France - interest in Java binding to other languages, for example, binding
Java and C++; there were other expressions of interest in cross language
issues; French participation in W3C results in commitment to standardizing
Java (today unaddressed by W3C); there is also a large academic interest
in JVM.

US - interest in validation of language and virtual machine
implementations.

Open Group - OSF RI is working on Java ports and Java compiler; X/Open
developing branding profiles using Java; OMG working on Java binding to
CORBA; issue: relationship to ANDF.

WHY

Responding to market needs for a stable specification and other standards
groups building on this technology.  Reliability and security of
distribution applications is also a concern.

Ensure consensus control over future evolution.

Java is a potential convergence technology in the Global Information
Infrastructure (GII) for use in Web browsers (PC's and workstations),
common windowing environments, stand alone computer applications, Set Top
Boxes, telecommunications and other types of devices.  The benefits from
commonality are significant.

WHAT

At least the following were mentioned as possible candidates for
standardization and of interest to this ad hoc:  Java language, Java byte
code (Sun/JavaSoft), Java Class library, Java API, Java OMG binding,
Inferno (Lucent), ActiveX, ANDF, TwinPeaks (a Java binding to C++), Java
CORBA binding, Java DB binding, JavaScript (Netscape), other scripting
approaches (Tel scripting language, VB Script, PERL).

Potential requirements were discussed including:

Common requirements:  compatible language/virtual machine set of
specifications (such as Java), that are suitable for web/network
distributed applications support (including security, object integrity),
that are architecturally neutral, supporting international character sets
and usage, that are market relevant based on existing practice, that span
set top and web based environments, and for which appropriate Copyright
and PIR releases can be obtained.

Byte Code/Virtual Machine requirements:  suitable for being targeted by
multiple languages, and suitable for both interpretative and just-in-time
compiler implementations.

Language Requirements:  suitable for education (structured, object
oriented)

The ad hoc was not sure that a requirements based approach would really
draw in the involvement of the participants and technologies we wanted.

Because of the desire for market relevance and meeting user needs, it was
strongly recommended that we not attempt to mix or merge approaches.

WHO

Formal participation in ISO standardization activities is according to the
Directives.  Since the consideration of Java related standardization is in
response to market needs and public interest, information about this work
needs to be distributed as widely as possible so that interested parties
will have a timely opportunity to join the work.

The participation of Sun, Netscape, Microsoft, Lucent, and may others is
as yet unclear.

HOW

Form a Java Study Group (JSG) to coordinate activities during a study
period consistent with Directives 6.2.3.

Encourage National Member Bodies to nominate participants in addition to
those already identified during the Plenary.  Involve other organizations
and individuals that might contribute to understanding and resolving
issues.  Conduct as much of the work as possible via e-mail and other
Internet mechanisms.

Attachment 4 has information on the e-mail reflector and Web page.

Although various approaches (for example, traditional committee
development, Fast Track, and Publicly Available Specifications) were
discussed, the group felt this was one of many issues that should be
addressed during the study period.

Establish a formal liaison with SC29/WG12 and SC26 (assuming ANDF work
there).

WHEN/WHERE

Plan for a possible meeting during the week of January 6, 1997 in
California, to coordinate with an SC29/WG12 meeting planned at that time
in Cupertino.

Consider the possibility of a May-June meeting in Europe, possibly in
conjunction with a conference related to Java.

Prepare a report and whatever proposals may result in time for
consideration at the 1997 SC22 Plenary, if not sooner.

Potentially call for proposals and base documents (must include release of
Copyright to do derived work) by January so that NP(s) might be suggested
by May/June?

________________________________________________________________________
Attachment 1

Participants at SC22 London - AD-HOC Java(tm)
Wednesday, 25 September 1996

Bob Mathis                 USA            [email-masked]
Jim Isaaak                 WG15           [email-masked]
Toshi Kurokawa             Japan          [email-masked]
Pierre Parquier            France         [email-masked]
Willem Wakker              Netherlands    [email-masked]
Michael Pickett            UK             [email-masked]
                                          [email-masked]
                          (first address doesn't always work; second is
                           home)
John Benito                USA            [email-masked]
Paul Rabin                 USA            [email-masked]
Neil Martin                UK             [email-masked]
Tom Casey                  SC29/WG12      [email-masked]
Keld Simonsen              DK             [email-masked]
Martin Schoenhacker        Austria        [email-masked]
Graham Warren              Canada         [email-masked]
Derek Andrews              UK             [email-masked]
Kees Pronk                 Netherlands    [email-masked]
Arnold F. Winkler          WG20           [email-masked]
Scott Jameson              USA            [email-masked]
John Barnes                UK             [email-masked]

ATTACHMENT 2

SC29/WG12 ftp and Web and other references

SC29 ftp site:
          drop.chips.ibm.com
          userid: jtc1sc29, passwd: Jtc1Sc29

SC29/WG12 Website:
          http://www.demon.co.uk/tcasey/WG12
          userid:  MHEG, passwd:  GEHM

Convener:
          email:  [email-masked]

MHEG-6 CD: SC29 N 1710 (but check this number)

ATTACHMENT 3

IEEE Web Portable Applications

E-mail reflector for related news

           [email-masked]

send e-mail to:  [email-masked]
body:  subscribe pasc-wpasg <first> <last>

ATTACHMENT 4

Java Study Group e-mail reflector and Web page

       http://www.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/SG/

E-mail reflector for Java Study Group (JSG)

       [email-masked]

send e-mail to:  [email-masked]
body: subscribe sc22jsg <name>

ATTACHMENT 5

Suggested SC22 Resolution (to be revised to match actual resolution)

Study Period on Java-related Standardization

SC22 initiates a study period on Java-related standardization (according
to Directives 6.2.3.) to investigate potential approaches for Java-related
standards and establishes a Java Study Group (JSG) to coordinate this
study and report to the next SC22 Plenary (if not sooner).  In
particular, this Java Study Group is to consider appropriate proposals
for new work items (NPs).

Bob Mathis (USA) is appointed Convener of this Java Study Group.  All
participants in the London Plenary are invited and encouraged to
participate and National Member Bodies are encouraged to nominate other
participants.  The Convener is empowered to involve other organizations
and individuals that might contribute to understanding and resolving
issues.  The work of this Java Study Group will be conducted via e-mail
and other Internet mechanisms, in as much as possible, in addition to the
two planned meetings.
____________________________end of attachment ______________________
______________________end of SC22 N2302 ______________________________