Subject: SC 22 N 3315 - SC 22/WG 15 Business Plan and Convenor's Report

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:16:36 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)
 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N3315
 
TITLE:
JTC 1/SC 22/WG 15 Business Plan and Convenor's Report

DATE ASSIGNED:
2001-09-20
 
SOURCE:
SC 22/WG 15 Convenor (J. Oblinger)

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A
 
DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other document (Open)

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A
 
STATUS:
This document was reviewed at the SC 22 Plenary under Agenda
Item 8.8.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI
 
DUE DATE:
  
DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
 
DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open
 
Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
Matt Deane
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked]

_______end of cover page, beginning of report____________

Business Plan And Convener's Report
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 WG15 - POSIX

PERIOD COVERED: 
September 2000 - September 2001

SUBMITTED BY: 
Jim Oblinger (ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22/WG15 Convener)
NUWC
Code 2233, Bldg 1171-2
Newport, Rhode Island, 02841-1708
USA
Tel: 401 832 1366;  Fax: 401 832 2130

1. MANAGEMENT SUMMARY: 

1.1	JTC 1/SC22/WG15 STATEMENT OF SCOPE 
Application Program Interfaces (API's) for portability based on the
"Portable Operating Systems Interface" (POSIX) work and related operating
systems interface work.

1.2 PROJECT REPORT 
POSIX project status is maintained at:
http://www.pasc.org/standing/sd11.html

PDAM / Project #	Title	PASC number	
	Status	
9945-1 System API	
4 / 22.21.01.03.03	Protocol Ind. Interface	1003.1g	
	To be withdrawn	
5 / 22.39	Extensions to base 	1003.1a	
	In FPDAM balloting, should go to DIS in 2001	
7 / 22.21.04.01.01	Advanced Real Time Extensions	1003.1j	
	FDAM next step - Oct 2001	
8 / 22.40	Additional Realtime Extensions 	1003.1d	
	FDAM next step - Oct 2001	
			
9945-2 Shell and Utilities	
2 / 22.41	Shell & Utility Extensions	1003.2b	
	DoC in process, FPDAM next step	
			
15068 Administration	
3 / 22.21.03.05	User Admin	1387.3	
	US to provide draft for DIS ballot	
	
13210 Test Methods	
rev 22.37	Test Methods	2003	
	Awaiting publication	
	
14515 9945 Test Methods	
1-1   22.14515-1.02	-1 Test Methods Realtime Extension	2003.1b	
	PDAM DoC and recommendation next step	
	
14766 - Guide to National Profiles and Locales	
22.14766	Resolving PDTR comments  	
	
OSE Profile Projects	
22.15287.01	OSE Profile Project: Supercomputing	1003.10	
	Awaiting Publication	
22.15287.02	Real Time Profile	1003.13	
	Awaiting Publication	

1.1	COOPERATION AND COMPETITION
In the past year, IEEE PASC has moved completely away from holding
face-to-face meetings as the number of active working group continues to
decline.  A committee was formed to rewrite the IEEE PASC operating
procedures to permit and define the manner in which the PASC SEC could meet
electronically in order to conduct business.  A face-to-face of the PASC SEC
must be held to ratify these new procedures and this meeting may take place
in January 2002.

WG15 is continuing to work with IEEE PASC and The Open Group (TOG) to
develop methods for cooperation.  In mid 1999, a joint committee, within
PASC, TOG and WG15, known as the 'the Austin Group' had been established and
met to begin the revision of IS 9945-1 and IS 9945-2.  In order to support
this effort, WG15 formed two working groups, the first known as Rapporteur
group for rEVising (REV) with the goal of encouraging and facilitating
international participation in the revision process.  The REV group has met
in conjunction with 'the Austin group.'  The second group established within
WG15 is called the Rapporteur group for Procedures and Coordination (RPC)
and was tasked to assist with coordinating the merging of procedures that
are required to achieve the joint technical development of revisions to IS
9945-1 and IS 9945-2.  This group met in conjunction with the 'joint
procedures committee' to write a set of procedures that would facilitate the
flow of document approval within the three organizations.  The Joint
Procedures Committee generated a document called 'Joint Procedures for
Document Development' (JDOCS) defining the joint process.  This document 
has been reviewed by WG15 and a resolution passed approving it use during
the revision of 9945-1.

2.0 PERIOD REVIEW 

2.1 MARKET REQUIREMENTS 
The joining of efforts among IEEE PASC, TOG and WG15 addresses several
issues that confront standardization efforts within the computer operating
systems business sector.  A few of these are the stabilization of 'base'
standards so that vendors can provide a mature product meeting their
customer's requirements.  Conformance testing suites and activities
providing the user community with well tested products from which to choose

2.2 ACHIEVEMENTS
Completed CD Registration and an FCD ballot for the revision of ISO/IEC
9945-1 Information technology - Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX)
- Part 1.  It was felt that the draft document had change sufficiently
during the ballot and was resubmitted for a second FCD ballot that closed 15
September 2001.  This draft is the joint product of The Open Group, IEEE
POSIX and WG15 and is the document resulting from the merge 9945-1:1996, new
approved POSIX amendments to 9945-1, and The Open Group documents.   Draft 3
was developed and reviewed leading to Draft 4 that was released in August.
Draft for is the document currently in FCD ballot.

Submitted ISO/IEC PDTR 14766 - Guide for POSIX National Profiles and
National Locales for PDTR Ballot that closed in Aug 2001

2.3 RESOURCES 
The POSIX work is dependent on IEEE and The Open Group, as a source of
technical expertise, support and development work.  WG15 has traditionally
had five active (i.e. attending meetings) national bodies, and technical
contributions from additional national bodies.  Three national bodies
attended the last WG15 meeting in July 1999 while five national bodies
attend the WG15 meeting in July 2000.  

The close association that continues to develop between The Open Group,
POSIX and WG15 and discussed elsewhere in this report provides sufficient
resources to continue development of standards.

3.0 FOCUS FOR THIS PLANNING PERIOD

3.1 DELIVERABLES: 
See the active projects list above

3.2 STRATEGIES: 
The current strategy has two elements.  The first is to complete the
amendment process to the POSIX base standards with several standards
expecting to complete this year.  And second is to support the work of 'the
Austin Group'.

3.2.1 RISKS 
None for the current work plan.

3.2.2 OPPORTUNITIES 
The main opportunity expected of the strategy is to stabilize the joint
POSIX and The Open Group base standards so that vendors can enhance and
mature their products.

3.3 WORK PROGRAM PRIORITIES 
Many POSIX projects have mature documents at various stages within the ISO
balloting process.  It will be a priority to move these documents along and
push them to completion.

4. CONVENER'S REPORT

4.1 WG15 MEETING SCHEDULE
The last meeting of WG15 was held in San Jose, CA on 8-9 Feb 2001.  The next
meeting is tentatively scheduled for the latter part of the week of 25 Jan
2002 with the meeting location currently planned for the Los Angeles, CA
area in conjunction with The Open Group meeting.  WG15 reconfirmed its
consensus to meet on no less than an annual basis, in conjunction with other
meetings, workload determining the exact frequency.  

4.2 PROJECT EDITOR ASSIGNMENTS
No new requests.

4.3 PROJECT TIMEOUTS

4.3.1 PROJECTS NOT REACHING CD WITHIN 3 YEARS
No Project Extensions Requested

4.3.2 PROJECTS NOT REACHING FDIS STAGE WITHIN FOUR YEARS OF REACHING CD
WG15 requests a one-year extension on the following projects:

JTC 1.22.21.02.03, PDAM 1 to 9945-2, Amendment 1 on Batch Services
Portability
Extensions

JTC 1.22.21.03.05, DIS 15068-3, POSIX System Administration User
Administration

JTC 1.22.39, PDAM 5 to 9945-1, Amendment 5 to Portable Operating System
Interface
(POSIX) - Part 1:  System API 

JTC 1.22.40, PDAM 8 to 9945-1, Amendment 8 to Portable Operating System
Interface
(POSIX) - Part 1:  System API 

JTC 1.22.41, FPDAM 2 to 9945-2, Amendment 2 to IS 9945-2, POSIX - Part 2:
Shell 
and Utility Addendum 
Note:  22.41 was granted a one-year extension in Nara (Resolution 00-17).
WG15 is
requesting an additional year extension as proper sequencing of this project
requires 22.39 (above) to complete prior to 22.41.

JTC 1.22.14515-1.02, FPDAM 1 to IS 14515-1, Amendment 1 to IS 14515-1,
Realtime
Extensions

JTC 1.22.14515-2, DIS 14515-2, Shell and Utilities Test Methods

JTC 1.22.15287.01, FPDISP 15287-1, POSIX Supercomputing Application
Environment
Profiles

JTC 1.22.15879, DIS 15879, Distributed Software Administration DCE-RPC
Interoperability (XDSA/DCE) - see also SC 22 N 3272

4.4 FOR SC22 INFORMATION
New Projects
No requests for new projects

4.5 ACTION REQUESTS FOR SC22

4.5.1 DOCUMENTS TO BE FORWARDED
Forwarding of Documents for Action:

WG15 advises SC22 that the following documents are ready for DAM ballot and
will be submitted shortly:
JTC 1.22.40 - 9945-1 PDAM 8 Additional Realtime Extensions (P1003.1d/D10)
JTC 1.22.21.04.01.01 - 9945-1 PDAM 7 Advanced Realtime Extensions
(P1003.1j/D9)

4.5.2 DOCUMENTS TO BE WITHDRAWN

WG15 advises SC22 that work has stopped on 22.21.03.01 System Administration
(IEEE P1387.1) without producing a document and requests SC22 to withdraw
work item 22.21.03.01 System Administration.

WG15 advises SC22 that work has stopped on 22.21.01.03.03 PDAM 4 to 9945-1,
Amendment 4 to Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) - Part 1:  System
API) after approval as an IEEE documents.  There are currently no plans to
publish this document as either an IEEE or ISO document and requests SC22 to
withdraw this work item 22.21.03.01.  The work that was completed under this
project has been incorporated into the 9945-1 revision

4.5.3 OTHER ACTIONS
None