Subject: SC 22 N 3260 - Meeting Announcement and Draft Agenda for SC 22/WG 4 Meeting

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 14:28:50 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N 3260

TITLE:
Meeting Announcement and Draft Agenda for SC 22/WG 4 Meeting, 5-8 November
2001,
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   (Ballot Resolution meeting for ISO/IEC FCD 1989)

DATE ASSIGNED:
2001-07-02

SOURCE:
SC 22/WG 4 Convener (A. Bennett)

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Meeting Announcement

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
This document is circulated to SC 22 members for information.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
Matt Deane
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992
Fax:        (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked]

_____________ end of title page; beginning of document________

Meeting Announcement and Draft Agenda
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22/WG 4 - COBOL

Meeting 22
ISO/IEC FCD 1989 Ballot Resolution Meeting
5 - 8 November 2001

Meeting 22 of WG4 will be held 5 through 8, November, 2001 (Monday 
through Thursday), at the Embassy Suites Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada,
USA.  The primary purpose of the meeting is resolution of national 
body comments on ISO/IEC FCD 1989 - Programming Language COBOL. 

This is a co-located meeting with COBOL Technical Committee NCITS J4.
J4 will meet before and after the WG4 meeting on the following dates: 

		1 - 3 November, 2001 (Thursday through Saturday)
		9 - 10 November, 2001 (Friday and Saturday)

WG4 meets       5 - 8 November, 2001 (Monday through Thursday)  

Delegates attending the WG4 meeting are also invited to attend either or
both J4 sessions.  The WG4 meeting is open only to officially appointed
delegates of SC22 national bodies and SC22/WG4 liaison officers.

Meeting location:
		Embassy Suites Hotel            
		4315 Swenson Street
		Las Vegas, Nevada 89119
		USA
		Phone: (702) 795-2800
		Fax: (702) 795-1520
			
Host contact:	Robert A. Karlin, Karlins' Korner
		email:   [email-masked]
		Tel:     818  970-1850
		
Convener:	Ann Bennett
		email:   [email-masked]
		Tel:	 408  463-4344
		Fax:     408  463-3873  

A draft agenda for the WG4 meeting is included below.  A draft J4 agenda
will be posted at http://people.ne.mediaone.net/doncobol/index.html
no later than 30 days before the J4 meeting.

Information on lodging, transportation, and the local area of the meeting
is contained in the Meeting Information notice from Karlins' Korner, 
included below.  Note that hotel reservations must be made by 30 August,
2001, in order to ensure availability; after that date, reservations are 
at the meeting rate through 8 October but on a space available basis.  

National bodies are requested to send their delegation list to the convener 
and to the host contact (Robert A. Karlin) no later than 10 October 2001.

Regards,
Ann Bennett, Convener
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG4 - COBOL
________________________________________________________________________

Draft Agenda

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG4 - COBOL
Meeting 22
ISO/IEC FCD 1989 Ballot Resolution Meeting

5 - 8 November 2001

1.	Opening of the meeting:    9:00 am, Monday, 5 November 2001

2.	Opening business
2.1		Introduction of delegates
2.2		Introductory remarks by convener
2.3		Welcome by host, local arrangements
2.4		Appointment of secretary and chair
2.5		Selection of drafting committee
2.6		Recognition of documents
2.7		Approval of agenda
2.8		Approval of Minutes of Meeting 22, May 2000 (WG4 N 0143)

3.	JTC1 or SC22 information affecting the group

4.	Liaison reports

5.	Preliminary discussion of future meetings

6.	ISO/IEC FCD 1989 Ballot Resolution
6.1		Prioritize and assess comments
6.2		Determine direction for significant issues
6.3		Review recommended responses from J4
6.4		Revise responses as needed
6.5		Finalize responses
6.6		Review revised draft (if availble)

7.	Finalizer Technical Report
7.1		Review technical status	

8.	Class Library Technical Report
8.1		Discuss scope of work

9.	Schedule and future plans	
9.1		Final editing of FDIS
9.2		Schedule for FDIS and IS
9.3		Schedule and plans for Finalizer Technical Report
9.4		Plans for Class Library Technical Report
9.5		Future meetings

10.	Review and approval of resolutions from this meeting

11.	Close of the meeting:    end of day 8 November 2001

Daily schedule:
		Meeting start:		9:00 am
		Morning break:		10:45 - 11:05 am
		Lunch:			12:30 - 2:00 pm
		Afternoon break:	3:50 - 4:10 pm
		Meeting stop:		6:00 pm

_________________________________________________________________________

Meeting Information notice for 
WG4 Meeting 22 (FCD Ballot Resolution Meeting)
5 - 8 November, 2001

TO:		ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22/WG4 Delegates and liaisons
FROM:		Robert A. Karlin, Karlins' Korner
DATE:		29 June 2001

Karlins' Korner is pleased to host the November 5 through 8, 2001, WG4
meeting
at: 
		Embassy Suites Hotel
		4315 Swenson Street
		Las Vegas, Nevada 89119
		USA
		Phone: (702) 795-2800
		Fax: (702) 795-1520

Contacts:

Contact your national body for information on obtaining appointment
to their delegation.

Contact me for information on meeting arrangements:
			Robert A. Karlin
			email:   [email-masked]
			Tel:     818  970-1850

Contact the convener regarding the meeting agenda:
			Ann Bennett
			email:   [email-masked]
			Tel:	 408  463-4344
			Fax:	 408  463-3873

Contact the J4 chairman for information on J4 sessions:
			email    [email-masked] 
			Tel:     978  887-6692
			Fax:     347  521-5940

Hotel Accommodations:

A block of rooms is being held at the Embassy Suites Hotel.  The 
Embassy Suites is an all suites hotel, about a mile from the 
Las Vegas strip.  Each suite consists of a bedroom, bathroom, and 
separate living area.  There is a small refrigerator, coffee maker,
and microwave oven in each room.

The rate is $105 per night plus applicable room taxes. Room tax is 
currently 9%. This rate is available from 3 days prior to the meeting 
through 3 days after the meeting. This rate includes a full breakfast, 
plus a complimentary cocktail hour in the early evening.  

A credit card is required to guarantee your room.  Reservations can
be cancelled 72 hours in advance without penalty; later cancellation
will result in one night's room charge.

Please make reservations directly with the Hotel by 30 August, 2001, 
in order to ensure availability; after 30 August, reservations will 
be accepted through 8 October at the meeting rate on a space available 
basis.  Please refer to WG4-COBOL when booking your room.

Please book your hotel room early if you plan to stay past the meeting 
dates.  After our meeting, Las Vegas will be hosting COMDEX, one of 
the largest meetings in North America, and rooms will be at a premium. 

Power outlets will be available for laptops in the meeting room.  

Additional information on the hotel is available at 
http://www.embassylasvegas.com

Meals:

The Embassy Suites provides a free cooked-to-order breakfast 
featuring pancakes, sausage, bacon, eggs, and omelets.  We will also 
have coffee, beverages, and snacks in the meeting room.  There are a 
number of restaurants within walking distance of the Hotel, and many 
more within a 5 minute drive.

Transportation:

Flights should be made into Las Vegas McCarran International Airport
(LAS).  The Hotel is approximately 1 mile north of the airport.  The 
Embassy Suites provides a complimentary shuttle from the airport to 
the hotel.  The Embassy Suites also provides a shuttle to and from 
the Strip, which is the area with the major casinos.    

If you are driving from McCarran Airport, take Swenson St. north, 
go 1 mile and the hotel will be on the left.

Weather:

You may need a light coat or sweater.  The average high temperature 
in early November is 67°F (19°C) and the average low is 42°F (6°C).  
There is very little rain; however it may be windy.

Local Attractions:

Hoover Dam: 30 miles south of Las Vegas (an easy Sunday drive) is 
the Hoover Dam.  The dam visitor center is open daily from 8:30 to 5:45.,
and there are tours that descend into the dam and into the generating 
plants. More information on the tours will be found at 
http://www.hooverdam.usbr.gov/service/index.html

Lake Mead Recreation Area: Created by the building of Hoover Dam, the 
Lake Mead Recreation Area provides swimming, boating, lake cruises, 
fishing, and other water sports, as well as hiking and wildlife 
photography. The lake is at the intersection of three of the four 
American desert ecosystems -- the Mohave, the Great Basin, and the 
Sonoran deserts. More information can be found at 
http://www.nps.gov/lame.
Information about lake cruises can be found at
http://www.lakemeadcruises.com.

Old Las Vegas Mormon Fort State Historic Park: In 1855, the first 
permanent non-native settlers to the Las Vegas valley were Mormon 
missionaries.  They built an adobe fort which now serves as a visitor 
center. These settlers lived here by farming the area using diverted 
water from a nearby creek. This park is currently under development 
to include more historic interpretations and re-created features. The 
park is open all year. Located in Las Vegas at Las Vegas Boulevard and 
Washington Avenue. For more information contact: Old Las Vegas Mormon 
Fort State Historic Park, 908 Las Vegas Blvd. North, Las Vegas, NV, 
89101, (702) 486-3511.

Kyle Ranch: Once part of a large ranch, what remains of it here is 
acknowledged as the oldest standing building in Las Vegas. It is 
located just off Losee Road on the northeast corner of Carey Ave and 
Commerce Street in North Las Vegas. The unassuming stone and wood ranch 
house and nearby white shed date back to the mid 1850's when the entire 
valley was little more than a railroad stop and ranching predominated, 
rather than gambling. If you visit the site, please respect all nearby 
areas marked "private property" and "no trespassing". 
No admission charge.

Lake Havasu/London Bridge: Brought over stone by stone and reconstructed 
in 1971, Lake Havasu's London Bridge forms the central focus of a modern 
"Old English Village" on the shore of the lake. Dozens of gift shops, 
antique shops, and cafes line the shore of this man-made lake north of 
Parker Dam. Boating, fishing, and many other water sports are available. 
This is also the well known site of numerous televised water sports 
tournaments. Additional Info: Call the Lake Havasu Tourist Bureau: 
1-800-242-8278.

Red Rock Canyon: Just 15 miles outside of town to the west is Red Rock 
Canyon. A large patch of native, brilliant red sandstone makes this a 
unique, natural sightseeing spot. You often see desert wildlife 
including burros, wild horses, and bighorn sheep wandering amidst the 
washes, Joshua Trees, and numerous small canyons once inhabited by 
ancient Indian tribes. Often used as backdrops for magazine ads, 
"Red Rock" (as it's affectionately referred to by locals) provides a 
number of nice picnic spots, places for rock climbing, 4-wheel driving, 
hiking, and spectacular views along the 8 mile scenic loop, which is 
readily accessible by car or bicycle. A four wheel drive, ATV, or hardy 
hiking shoes are recommended for some of the more isolated dirt trails. 
Tours are available at the visitor's center at the main entrance. Stop 
at the visitor's center BEFORE you head into the park "loop", as once 
you get into the park, it's one-way traffic ONLY for 12 miles. 
Admission: $5/carload/day or $20/annual. (702) 363-1921.

Grand Canyon Helicopter Tours: Too numerous to list, a number of 
tours of the Grand Canyon and Lake Mead provide a stunning and 
beautiful afternoon.

Shopping: Many of the large casinos have extensive shopping areas 
that include every type of merchandise one can think of.  The largest 
ones, at Caesar's Palace, at the Aladdin, and at Bally's may be entered 
without going through the casino areas.  There is also the Fashion Show 
mall, separate from the casinos on the Strip, and two large outlet malls 
within five miles of the area.

Imperial Palace Auto Collection - 3535 S. Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas - 
Visit over 200 antique and specialty autos as well as classic cars. 
This display is constantly rotated from the hotel's immense collection 
to keep the interest of repeat visitors. See John F. Kennedy's "Bubbletop
Limo." The collection of Duesenbergs is second to none. Make sure you
stop by the gift shop for those souvenirs for home. Daily 9:30am-11pm, 
Admission: $6.95 Adults, $3 Seniors & Children 5 -12 
(Las Vegas Leisure Guide note: Bring your AAA club membership card or 
catch the wandering hostess at the antique car display out front of the 
hotel and you can get in free), (702) 731-3311 or (702) 794-3174 

Las Vegas Natural History Museum: 900 N. Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas - 
Features wildlife past and present including animated dinosaur exhibits. 
An international wildlife room, marine life including a live exhibit on 
sharks in a 300-gallon tank, and a children's interactive hands-on 
discovery room for young scientists keeps the whole family happy. 
See the extensive wildlife art, the flights of nature room, and a 
collection of hundreds of animals. Don't forget to visit the museum 
gift and science store. Daily 9am-4pm, $5, 384-DINO(3466)

Liberace Museum: 1775 E Tropicana Ave - Housing the legacy of 
Liberace's estate, this museum is a treasure trove of items. It 
includes his personal auto and piano collection, many antiques, 
as well as Liberace's famous million-dollar costumes. See his 
extensive jewelry assortment, including the world's largest rhinestone 
or view his period furniture. Admission fees go to a good cause: the 
non-profit Liberace Foundation for the Performing and Creative Arts. 
This foundation funds scholarships and grants to aspiring musicians 
across the country. Mon-Sat 10am-5pm; Sun 1pm-5pm, Adm: Adults $6.95, 
Seniors and Students $4.95, children under 12 are free when accompanied 
by an adult  (702) 798-5595 or 1-800-626-2625 
http://www.flatwaremedia.com/liberace.

For additional attractions one of the best sites I have found is: 
http://www.lvlg.com/lasvegas/attracts/index.htm.

COMDEX:   One of the largest, if not the largest, Information Technology
show in the world is COMDEX, will be in Las Vegas from November 12th 
through November 16th, 2001.  Hotel rooms for this show are booked well in 
advance, since virtually every room in Las Vegas is sold out.  More 
info can be found at 
http://www.key3media.com/comdex/fall2001.

For further information, please contact:  
	Robert A. Karlin
	Karlins' Korner
	7628 Van Noord Ave.
	North Hollywood, CA. 91605
        USA	
	(818) 970-1850
	[email-masked]

--------- end of document  --------