Subject: Program of Work Review at SC22 Plenary (fwd)

From: Bob Follett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 17:10:00 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 16:04:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Bob Follett <[email-masked]>
To: SC22 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Program of Work Review at SC22 Plenary

Hello, friends.

I would like to call your particular attention to an agenda item that may
very well be the most important one we discuss in London.  I don't
normally like to single out any one item since I know that all of our work
is important.  However, in this case, if we do not pay proper attention to
this item, it could have unintended and unpleasant consequences!

I am referring to agenda item 11.2 on National Body reviews of SC22
Program Management.  Direction is given in document SC22 N2228.  JTC1 has
asked EACH SC22 MEMBER BODY to review our program of work and indicate,
FOR EACH PROJECT, whether:

  a) the NB is actively participating and providing resources in the
development of the project, or
  b) the NB feels the project should be pursued in the SC but is unable to
provide standards development resources, or
  c) the NB has no interest in having the SC develop the project.

JTC1 has further asked SC22 to complete this analysis during our plenary
meeting.  We therefore need input from EVERY NB that is a P-member of
SC22. 

While I do not know precisely what JTC1 will do with these analyses, it is
clear that JTC1 is going through a re-engineering effort and, among other
things, is determined to make sure that the JTC1 work program is relevant
in today's marketplace.  I anticipate that JTC1 is likely to take action
to cancel projects with insufficient interest and with insufficient
participation (less than 5 NBs).

As chairman, I support the JTC1 goal that our work be relevant.  If any of
our work items deserve cancellation, then we should certainly recommend
that.  However, it would be extremely unfortunate if some projects show
insufficient interest or participation simply because we have not heard
from all NBS due to the rather short time frame for this JTC1 request.

I therefore make the following request:

  1) SC22 Member Bodies:  Please be sure to make the requested
determination for every SC22 project and submit it to the SC22 Secretariat
in advance of the plenary, if possible.  This is especially important for
NBs who will not be represented at the plenary. 

  2) SC22 Working Group Conveners:  If you have participants from NBs that
may not be represented at the SC22 plenary, contact those participants and
have them make sure that their NB is submitting a project review for
consideration at our plenary in response to SC22 N2228.

Thank you.

Regards,
Bob