Subject: SC 22 N 3244 - Minutes from the SC 22/WG 11 Meeting, 27 April 200 1, Copenhagen

From: Matthew Deane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 13:17:24 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)
 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N 3244
 
TITLE:
Minutes from the SC 22/WG 11 Meeting, 27 April 2001, Copenhagen 

DATE ASSIGNED:
2001-06-01
 
SOURCE:
SC 22/WG 11 Convener (W. Wakker)

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A
 
DOCUMENT TYPE:
Meeting Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A
 
STATUS:
These minutes are circulated for information.
 
ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI
 
DUE DATE:
  
DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
 
DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def
 
Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
Matt Deane
ANSI
25 West 43rd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4992
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked]

_______ end of title page; beginning of document _________________________

DRAFT MINUTES OF MEETING		      SC22/WG11 N473

Committee:  ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG11

Place:	Danish Standards
	Copenhagen, Denmark

Date:	     April 27, 2001

Attendees:  Mr. Frank Farance	 USA
	     Mr. Kent Karlsson	 IMI, Sweden
	     Mr. Roger Scowen	 UK
	     Mr. Keld Simonsen	 RAP, Norway
	     Mr. Fred Tydeman	 USA
	     Mr. Willem Wakker	 ACE Consulting bv, Netherlands (Convener)

1.  Agenda

It was agreed to follow the agenda, as outlined in WG11/N471.

2.  Minutes of previous meeting (WG11/N466)

The minutes were approved without changes.

3.  Status of WG11 documents

The TRs produced by WG11 (ISO/IEC 10182:1993 - Guidelines for the
preparation of language bindings, and ISO/IEC 14369:1999 - Language
Independent Service Specifications) are now publicly available, both from
the ITTF website
(http://isotc.iso.ch/livelink/livelink/fetch/2000/2489/Ittf_Home/ITTF.htm)
and from the WG11 website (http://www.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG11).  ISO/IEC
11404:1996 - Language-independent Datatypes is finally also available from
the same websites.
The WG11 request to make ISO/IEC 13886:1996 - Language Independent
Procedure Calling publicly available was approved by SC22; at JTC1 level
the request was included in a larger scheme to make all JTC1 standards
available at low cost, which proposal in the end failed.  The request to
make LIPC publicly available is currently again under ballot in JTC1.

4.  Work Item 22.17 - Language-Independent Datatypes

The document is published by ITTF as IS 11404:1996.
At the last WG11 meeting it was decided to revise LID; Frank Farrance is
the project editor for the revision.

The project editor presented an updated charter for the revision, which was
discussed and approved.	 The project editor will produce the final charter,
including an envisaged planning, which will be send to SC22 for
information.  The convener will, in his conveners report to SC22, encourage
the SC22 Chair and the SC22 NBs to inform other possibly interested groups
of the current revision, and to encourage these groups to contribute and/or
participate in the revision.

The liaison statement from ITU-T SG7 regarding the revision of
ISO/IEC 11404 was discussed.  In this liaison statement the ASN.1 Group
announces the revision of ASN.1, and offers assistance in the revision of
11404.
It was decided that the response to the liaison statement should contain
the following elements:
-- 11404 is about datatypes, while ASN.1 is about data and data
 representation, so the standards have their own set of users;
-- there is however a strong relationship in the fact that a mapping
 between 11404 and ASN.1 might be very useful;
-- there is a plan to produce an informative annex of 11404 that describes
 the relationship between the two standards; and
-- the development schedule of the 11404 revision.
As the convener will not be available until shortly before the liaison
statement is due, the project editor will produce a first version of the
liaison statement response.

The project editor, Mr. Frank Farrance, is the acting liaison between
SC32/WG2 and SC22/WG11.

5.  FDIS 10967-2 - Language-Independent Arithmetic, part 2: Elementary
Numerical Functions

After some email exchanges with ITTF the document is now finally in FDIS
ballot; the ballot ends on April 30, 2001.  The results of the ballot are
still unknown.

6.  WD 10967-3 - Language-Independent Arithmetic, part 3: Complex Floating
Point Arithmetic and Complex Elementary Numerical Functions

In November 2000, a first working draft (WG11/N470) was published on the
WG11 website.  At the meeting a revised version N470R (distributed at the
meeting) was discussed.

As N470R contains the main elements of the final IS, and it is presented in
a form which is essentially the form envisaged for the future IS, it was
decided to prepare, based on N470R, a WD for registration ballot.
It was agreed to remove from the document
-- those functions that are not used by any of the major ISO programming
 languages;
-- most of the language bindings, and
-- (for the registration document) most of the rationale.
A guiding rule for the document should be: if in doubt: cut it out!  The
editor will have the WD for registration ready by June 2001.

7.  Planning and Future Meetings

It was agreed to review the comments received on the registration ballot of
10967-3 by teleconference.  A next meeting is foreseen for April 2002 in
Amsterdam.