Subject: Document SC22 N2225 (Revised)

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 16:01:13 -0400 (EDT)

(NOTE:  This is the Revised WG14 Convener's Report)

___________________________________________________________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2225
(revised)

September 1996

TITLE:                Revised WG14 Convener's Report for the September
                      1996 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

SOURCE:               Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:            N/A

STATUS:               N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:      Supersedes SC22 N2225

DOCUMENT TYPE:        Convener's Report

ACTION:               To SC22 Member Bodies for information or action,
                      as applicable.

                      THIS CONVENER'S REPORT AND THE ISSUES NOTED IN
                      THE LAST TWO PARAGRAPHS THEREOF WILL BE HANDLED
                      UNDER AGENDA ITEMS 8.7, 8.7.1 AND 8.7.2 AT THE
                      SEPTEMBER 1996 JTC 1/SC22 PLENARY.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

___________________________________________________________________________

                    Revised Convener's Report to SC22
                       WG14 (Programming language C)

28 August 1996

Project number: 22.20.02

WG14 has met three time in the past year:

Oct 1995  Nashua, NH
Feb 1996  Los Anglese, CA
Jun 1996  Amsterdam, NL

Our next scheduled meetings are:

Oct 1996  Toronto, ON
Feb 1997  Kona, HI
Jun 1997  Sydney, NSW

All our meetings are collocated with X3J11.  X3J11 is conducting the
revision of the C Standard as an I type project, this insures the ISO/IEC
JCT 1 balloting procedures will be used in the revision process.

WG14 received a CEN/TC304 informational report from the SC22 cooperation
officer to CEN/TC304 at the Amsterdam meeting, WG14 document N577.

The "Charter for the Revision of the C Standard" was provided to the SC22
for informational purposes.

Our major activity for the past two years has been the review and revision
of ISO/IEC 9899:1990, the C Standard.  Currently, we still expect to
determine the scope of a revised draft C Standard by the end of 1996, as
we reported last year.  We should be in a position to request balloting of
a Committee Draft by the end of 1997.  We are merging all Technical
Corrigenda into the draft C Standard as we proceed.

In the past year, WG14 has published responses to Defect Reports #060
through #141.  They have been gathered into Record of Responses 2 (RR2),
which lists all the DRs and our responses, both normative and otherwise.
Technical Corrigendum 2 (TC2) is a normative document that lists just the
corrections to the C Standard as a results of these responses.  Both
documents were within the past year by SC22.

WG14 has since received additional Defect Reports #142 through #168.  The
committee has developed preliminary responses for nearly all these DRs,
but would prefer not to publish an additional RR or TC in the immediate
future, given the status of the revision of the C Standard, as described
above.  Our Defect Report log is up to date.

WG14 has made good progress on developing a Web site, in accordance with
directions passed down from SC22.  We have a restricted access ftp site,
available under password control only to committee members, that serves as
a repository for documents private to the committee. We would like,
however, to move certain documents from the private to the public area,
specifically the two Technical Corrigenda published by ISO.  We ask SC22
to secure the necessary permissions for us to do so.  Our rationale is as
follows:

Many customers of the C Standard have had difficulty discovering and/or
obtaining the TCs. They would be well served to have the exact text of
the TCs publicly available.  Like software patches that are publicly
available (but the full software is not), these TCs contain only the
changes, not the entire C Standard.  Thus, they should cause no revenue
loss with regard to sales of the entire test.  Already, some ISO members
distribute these TCs free of charge.  Thus, freely distributing the TCs
should al cause little or no revenue loss.  In summary, we fell the good
far outweighs any bad effects of putting the TCs on our public Web site,
and thereby request permission to do so.

Finally, Bill Plauger has tendered his resignation as the Convener of WG14.
X3J11 has endorsed a candidate for Convener.  An Accelerated JTC 1 TAG
Letter Ballot to endorse John Benito as the U.S. Candidate for Convener of
JTC 1/SC 22/WG14 will close on September 19, 1996.

____________________________end of document SC22 N2225 (revised) _________