Subject: Document SC22 N2259

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 12:57:49 -0400 (EDT)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2259

September 1996

TITLE:             WG9 Convener's Report for the September 1996
                   JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

SOURCE:            Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:         N/A

STATUS:            N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:   N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:     Convener's Report

ACTION:            To SC22 Member Bodies for action.

                   THIS CONVENER'S REPORT WILL BE CONSIDERED UNDER
                   AGENDA ITEMS 8.4 AND 12.5.1 AT THE SEPTEMBER 1996
                   JTC1/SC22 PLENARY.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_________________________________________________________________________

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 WG9 Ada
Annual Report of the Convener to SC22
August 31, 1996

Potential New Work Items (not now being proposed, for information only)

Guidelines for Producing High-Integrity Systems Using Ada -- WG9 has a
rapporteur group on Annex H of the Ada standard. We expect them to go beyond
just maintenance activities and they are discussing the scope and goals of a
potential new work item.

Java byte codes -- there is considerable interest in the Ada community about
using the Java virtual machine as a target for Ada compilation. WG9 wants to
participate in any activity in this area.

Specific Ada bindings -- a major activity in the Ada community involves various
bindings and linkages to other systems and languages. The AJPO (Ada Joint
Program Office, US Department of Defense) has funded some projects in this area.
The Ada Resource Association (a trade association of Ada vendors) also has a
project for an Ada Common Environment (ACE) which involves bindings and
linkages. Individuals active in WG9 are also active on these projects. This work
is building on the language interfaces (particularly to C) specified in the
standard.

Electronic Availability of Standards and Information About Work

WG9 and the Ada community have always made information about its standards
publicly available. Standards, drafts, comments, suggestions, and information
about WG9 are, have been, and should remain publicly and freely available
through electronic means.

New Convener

Having served as Convener of this working/experts group since its initial
formation (with the exception of two years doing Lisp and Prolog) under SC5 in
1983 and worked with at least 3 SC Chairmen, 3 Secretariats, and 5 US Heads of
Delegation, I have decided to retire. I'm not leaving the Ada community, but it
is time for someone else to take over the leadership of WG9.

I have put out a general call for volunteers and have received many positive
responses. The requirements for management support and multi-year commitment
will not have been met by the Plenary in September, so we (WG9 and the US) are
not yet ready to propose a new Convener. I will stay on until such time as a new
Convener is able to take over.

Recent Past Meetings:
	Frankfurt, Germany, October 6, 1995
	Montreux, Switzerland, June 14, 1996

Future Meetings:
	Philadelphia, PA, USA, December 7, 1996
	London, England, June, 1997
	Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, August, 1997

Participating Countries:
	Regular meeting attendance: Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Netherlands,
Russia,
		Sweden, Switzerland, UK, US.
	Other countries are also participating less formally.

Work Items and Rapporteur Groups

22.10.01:	ISO/IEC 8652:1995   Ada Programming Language (95-02-15)
			ANSI (95-04-10), FIPS PUB 119-1 (95-07-10)
		Editors: S. Tucker Taft and Christine Anderson (USA)
			ftp://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/public/ada9x/rm9x/v5.0
		ARG (Ada Rapporteur Group) - Erhard Ploedereder (Germany)
		HRG (Annex H Rapporteur Group) - Brian Wichmann (UK)
			http://www.npl.co.uk/npl/ditc/seg/hrg/infopack.html
		Distribution Annex -- Steve Michell (Canada)

NRG -- 	Gil Myers (USA), (Numerics Rapporteur Group)
22.10.02:	ISO/IEC 11430:1994   Elementary Functions (94-12-01)
		Editor: Ken Dritz (USA)
22.10.03:	ISO/IEC 11729:1994   Primitive Functions (94-12-15)
		Editor: Ken Dritz (USA)
22.10.04:	Complex Types and Functions, DIS 13813, awaiting JTC1 ballot,
		Editor: Don Sando and Ken Dritz (USA)
22.10.05:	Complex Elementary Functions, DIS 13814, awaiting JTC1 ballot
		Editor: Jon Squire and Ken Dritz (USA)

SRG -- 	SQL Rapporteur Group
22.31:		ISO/IEC 12227:1994   SAMeDL (95-02-15)
		Editor: Marc Graham (USA)

22.35:		Real-Time Extensions (Technical Report, Type II)
		Editor: Nasser Kettani (France), Rationale SC22 N 1598
		DTR 11735 passed JTC1 ballot, awaiting publication

22-15291	Currie Colket (USA), (Ada Semantic Interface Specification)
			http://info.acm.org/sigada/wg/asiswg/asiswg.html
		NP (N1943), SC22 vote (N2077), JTC1 vote (N2188)
		environment information about programs without reparsing

Liaisons

WG4 (Cobol) -- Ben Brosgol

WG11 (Bindings)

WG15 (POSIX) -- Ted Baker
	POSIX/Ada standard ISO/IEC 14519-1:1995 (IEEE Std 1003.5-1992)
	(Ada Binding to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (IEEE Std 1003.1-1990))

WG21 (C++)

WG22 (PCTE)

IRDS (ISO/IEC JTC1/SC21 WG3 IRDS Rapporteur Group, CD 13645) -- Currie Colket

IEEE ABBET (A Broad-Based Environment for Test, formally ABET, an Ada Based
Environment for Test): IEEE Std 1226.2-1993 published April 12, 1994; along with
IEEE Std 1226 and 1226.1, they form the Ada binding to ATLAS (Abbreviated Test
Language for All Applications) IEEE Std 716-1989.

Convener's address:
	Dr. Robert F. Mathis
	Convener ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 WG9 Ada
	4719 Reed Road, Suite 1815
	Columbus, Ohio 43220   USA
	Phone:	+1-614-538-9232
	FAX:	+1-614-538-0232
	E-mail:	[email-masked]
			[email-masked]
WG9 distribution:	[email-masked]

___________________________end of document SC22 N2259 ___________________