Subject: Document SC22 N2261

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 13:06:10 -0400 (EDT)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2261

September 1996

TITLE:            WG16 Convener's Report for the September 1996
                  JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

SOURCE:           Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:        N/A

STATUS:           N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:  N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:    Convener's Report

ACTION:           To SC22 Member Bodies for action.

                  THIS CONVENER'S REPORT WILL BE CONSIDERED UNDER AGENDA
                  ITEM 8.9 AT THE SEPTEMBER 1996 JTC 1/SC22 PLENARY.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_________________________________________________________________________

     WG16 CONVENER'S REPORT FOR THE SEPTEMBER 1996 JTC 1/SC22 PLENARY

Summary
=======

WG16 is responsible for the single project 22.23, producing an
international standard for Lisp.  During 1995-1996, WG16 moved
according to the plan and DIS-13816 ballot will end just before London
SC22 plenary.

Participation
=============

Six nations have been regularly participating to the efforts for
standardization: Canada, France, Germany, Japan, United Kingdom and
United States of America.

Convenorship
============

After accepting French offer (resolution 95-26), SC22 has appointed
Pierre Parquier as convener of WG16 (SC22/N2133).

Progress in Ballots
===================

Last SC22 plenary directed for a second CD ballot, and for a DIS
ballot April 1996 (resolution 95-27).

The 2nd CD-13816 ballot (SC22/N1976) resulted in a unanimous approval
with comments, most of which were approved (disposition of comments in
SC22/N2095).

The DIS-13816 ballot is underway, to be completed just before
plenary (1996-09-23).  

During this ballot, there has been some confusion on the IS ballot
title:

- The title of Project 22.23 is "Information Technology -- Programming
  languages, their environments and system software interfaces --
  Programming Language Lisp".

- During its first meeting (1988-02-25), WG16 decided to name the
  resulting dialect "ISLISP" (minutes in SC22WG16N12).

- Every draft issued by WG16 has been labeled and refers to "ISLISP".

- The title on SC22 cover page for 1st CD ballot (SC22/N1656) is
  "... -- Programming Language ISLISP".

- The title on SC22 cover page for 2nd CD ballot (SC22/N1976) is
  "... -- Programming Language Lisp", a change which apparently went
  unnotticed.

- The title on JTC1 cover page for DIS ballot is "... -- LISP".  This
  time WG16 noticed this is not the name of the Lisp dialect
  standardized.

SC22 secretariate suggested NBs to comment on the title in their vote
on DIS-13816.  Indeed, several votes are expected to request for a
change of standard title to ISLISP.  In this case, WG16 is likely to
issue a disposition of comment accepting that request.

WG16 is very gratefull to SC22 secretariate who extensively explored
how to fixed this issue.

WG16 meetings
=============

14th meeting:
- in Paris (France), March 1996
- main focus: disposition of comments on 2CD ballot, plan for DIS ballot
- 6 NBs represented
- resolutions is SC22/N2096

15th meeting:
- in Bath (United Kingdom), November 1996
- main focus: disposition of comments on DIS ballot, plan for IS ballot
- about 5 NBs expected
- venue is SC22/N2217

WWW home page for SC22/WG16
===========================

Home page still under construction.  Besides, we've been using over
the passed year the WWW for maintenance of the venue notice
(http://www.ilog.fr/WG16).

_________________________end of document SC22 N2261 _____________________