Subject: Document SC22 N2258

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 12:32:42 -0400 (EDT)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N 2258

September 1996

TITLE:             ISO/IEC 14977 Project Editor's Report for the 
                   September 1996 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

SOURCE:            Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:         N/A

STATUS:            N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:   N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:     Project Editor's Report

ACTION:            To SC22 Member Bodies for action or information, as
                   applicable.

                   THIS PROJECT EDITOR'S REPORT AND THE ISSUE CONTAINED
                   THEREIN WILL BE CONSIDERED UNDER AGENDA ITEM 11.7 AT 
                   THE SEPTEMBER 1996 JTC 1/SC22 PLENARY

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

__________________________________________________________________________

1996 REPORT TO ISO/IEC JTC1 SC22 from ISO/IEC 14977 PROJECT EDITOR

INTRODUCTION 

ISO/IEC 14977 (Syntactic Metalanguage Extended BNF) has been adopted
under the ``fast track'' process and is to be published shortly. It will then
pass into the care of SC22.

SC22 needs to consider and allocate responsibility for subsequent
maintenance of Extended BNF. This simple formal language is unlikely to
require significant resources, so to create a new Working Group would
probably impose unnecessary bureaucracy. I therefore suggest that
WG19 (Formal Languages) should be made responsible for its
maintenance.

UK (the originators of the standard) and Derek Andrews (WG19 convener)
have informally approved this suggestion, and it is hoped that WG19
will give formal approval at its meeting on 20 September 1996.

MEETINGS IN 1995-96

All work was performed by e-mail and correspondence; no meetings were
therefore required or held.

PROGRESS IN 1995-96

The timetable (see N2103) for producing a `Disposition of Comments'
report (see N2178) and revising the standard slipped by five weeks.
The camera-ready copy will posted to ISO Central Secretariat in Geneva
in the middle of August 1996.

DRAFT RESOLUTION FOR SC22
 
SC22, recognizing that ISO/IEC 14977 (Extended BNF) is a (simple)
formal language, allocates responsibility for future maintenance of
this standard to WG19 (Formal Languages).

R S Scowen  (ISO/IEC 14977 project editor) 
9 Birchwood Grove, Hampton, Middlesex
United Kingdom   TW12 3DU
E-mail: [email-masked]
14 August 1996 

_____________________________ end of document SC22 N2258 ________________