Subject: Document SC22 N2253

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 16:35:10 -0400 (EDT)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N 2253

August 1996

TITLE:              Status of SC22 Electronic Document Distribution
                    Implementation

SOURCE:             Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:          N/A

STATUS:             N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:    N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:      N/A

ACTION:             To SC22 Member Bodies for information

                    THIS DOCUMENT WILL BE DISCUSSED UNDER AGENDA ITEM
                    11.6 AT THE SEPTEMBER 1996 JTC 1/SC22 PLENARY.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153  USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

___________________________________________________________________________
August 22, 1996

TO:       P, L and O, SC22 Conveners, SC22 Heads of Delegation

SUBJECT:  Status of SC22 Electronic Document Distribution Implementation

As directed by JTC 1/SC22 at its September 1995 Plenary, electronic
document distribution has been implemented in JTC 1/SC22 through the use
of email (for short documents) and ftp (for large documents).  In
implementing this direction, the Secretariat sent a questionnaire to all
those participants on the JTC 1/SC22 mailing list.  This included National
Bodies (P, L and O), SC22 Working Group Conveners, SC22 Heads of
Delegation and the other JTC 1 Subcommittees with which JTC 1/SC22
carries out a liaison that includes their receipt of JTC1/ SC22 documents.

Based upon responses to the questionnaire and correspondence received
subsequently:

29 recipients of JTC 1/ SC22 documents agreed to accept email distribution of those documents available in that
form:  

 "P" National Bodies:

Austria                       Netherlands                
Canada                        Sweden
Czech Republic                Switzerland          
Germany                       United Kingdom
Japan                        

"O" National Bodies:

Iceland                       Italy

Conveners:

Ann Wallace (WG4)             Jim Issak (WG15)
Miles Ellis (WG5)             Pierre Parquier (WG16)
Robert Mathis (WG9)           Roger Scowen (WG17)
Willem Wakker (WG11)          Arnold Winker (WG20)
Kees Pronk (WG13)             Sam Harbison (WG21)
Bill Plauger (WG14)           Regis Minot (WG22)

HODs

Mr. Simonsen (Denmark)        Mr. Pronk (Netherlands)
Prof. Doi (Japan)             Mr. Jameson (U.S.A.)

Others:   4

20 recipients of JTC 1/ SC22 documents agreed to accept ftp distribution of those documents available in that
form: 
 
 "P" National Bodies:

Canada                        Sweden
Germany                       Switzerland
Netherlands

"O" National Bodies:

Iceland                       Italy

Conveners:

Miles Ellis (WG5)             Pierre Parquier (WG16)
Robert Mathis (WG9)           Roger Scowan (WG17)
Willem Wakker (WG11)          Arnold Winkler (WG20)
Kees Pronk (WG13)             Sam Harbison (WG21)
Jim Issak (WG15)

HODs

Mr. Simonsen (Denmark)        Mr. Pronk (Netherlands)
Prof. Doi (Japan

Others:  2

Based on this response, the introduction of electronic document
distribution has been very successful.  Needless to say, this degree of
participation has been very helpful in cutting down on the size of paper
distribution of JTC 1/SC22 documents.  

Thanks to the continuing support of Mr. Keld Simonsen, who maintains the
SC22 document distribution reflector, participants can be added and
deleted from the email distribution list in a very timely manner.

There are many benefits to the SC22 participants participating in the 
electronic documents distribution system, not the least of which is the
accelerated receipt of JTC 1/SC22 documents - some available up to three
weeks in advance of their availability as paper documents.

The Secretariat encourages those JTC 1/SC22 participants who are currently 
not on the email and ftp distributionlists to reevaluate their interest in 
these means of distribution and to advise the Secretariat when they choose
to join the electronic document distribution system.

WILLIAM C. RINEHULS
Secretariat, JTC 1/SC22

___________________________end of document SC22 N2253  __________________