Subject: SC 22 N 3173 - National Activity Report of Germany to the Plenary Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22, September 12-15, 2000

From: Lisa Rajchel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 16:20:39 -0400

_____________________beginning of title page___________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3173

TITLE:
National Activity Report of Germany to the Plenary Meeting of ISO/IEC
JTC1/SC22, September 12-15, 2000

DATE ASSIGNED:
2000-09-06

SOURCE:
National Body of Germany

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
National Body Activity Report

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:
This document will be discussed under Agenda Item 7.2.8 at the JTC 1/SC 22
Plenary Meeting. 

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI to SC22 Member Bodies

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Lisa Rajchel
ANSI
11 West 42nd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4932
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

_____________________end of title page______________

National Report of Germany
First of all I wish to apologize that our national report comes late, will
be very short and not presented by myself due to medical circumstances. (I
will have to trust my colleagues Monday when they operate my knee which I
have hurt while in holidays)
Personally I am very sorry that I cannot attend the SC22-plenary session and
had to cancel flight and hotel reservations due to "force majeure". I am
glad and grateful that Mr. Augustin is able to represent Germany.
There is not much to report from NI 22. It is business as usual  exept for
two good news:
(1)	We do participate (again) in WG10
(2)	We do participate (again) in WG20

In an internal debate about the chances of DIN and standardisation in the
future we asked the board of directors not only to concentrate on market,
industry and short term reactions but instead to seek cooperation with
customer organisations, governmental and public agencies with their interest
to guarantee the value of software investment. However, the actual trend and
ressource allocation goes into another direction ...
In November I will resign and pass on the burden to my successor who
accepted the nomination already. Until then we will have published our
comparison of the OO-concepts in different languages in the web.  (It is
almost completed thanks to the chairmen of the different language groups)
Again: I am sorry that I am unable to say good by to you all personally. It
has been a very interesting experience for me to participate in SC22 and I
thank you for all that I was allowed to learn from you - officially and
inofficially. Please help my successor as you have helped me! When I wake up
from anaesthesia Monday evening (hopefully!) I will try to imagine how John
Hill opens the SC22 plenary meeting and send my very best wishes.
Wolfgang Giere
Ex-HoD Germany
	Prof.Dr.med.Wolfgang Giere
Zentrum der Medizinischen Informatik        Center of Medical Informatics
Klinikum der J.W.Goethe-Universitaet        J.W.Goethe Univ Med Ctr.
		D 60590 Frankfurt am Main
		tel +49 69 6301 5695, fax ...6777
		email: [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> 
		www.klinik.uni-frankfurt.de/Zinfo.htm
<http://www.klinik.uni-frankfurt.de/Zinfo.htm>