Subject: SC 22 N 3172 - SC 22/WG 15 Business Plan/Convener's Report

From: Lisa Rajchel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 15:13:07 -0400

_____________________beginning of title page ______________

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3172

TITLE:
SC 22/WG 15 Business Plan/Convener's Report 

DATE ASSIGNED:
2000-09-06

SOURCE:
J. Oblinger, Convener, SC 22/WG 15

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other (Defined)

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:
This document will be discussed under Agenda Item 8.8 at the JTC 1/SC 22
Plenary Meeting. 

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI to SC22 Member Bodies

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Lisa Rajchel
ANSI
11 West 42nd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4932
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

_____________________end of title page _________________________

BUSINESS PLAN AND CONVENER'S EPORT: ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 WG15 (POSIX) 

PERIOD COVERED: 
September 1999 - June 2000

SUBMITTED BY: 
Jim Oblinger (ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22/WG15 Convener)
NUWC
Code 2233, Bldg 1171-2
Newport, Rhode Island, 02841-1708
USA
Tel: 401 832 1366;  Fax: 401 832 2130

1. MANAGEMENT SUMMARY: 

1.1	JTC 1/SC22/WG15 STATEMENT OF SCOPE 
Application Program Interfaces (API's) for portability based on the
"Portable Operating Systems Interface" (POSIX) work and related operating
systems interface work.

1.2 PROJECT REPORT 
POSIX project status is maintained at:
http://www.pasc.org/standing/sd11.html

A number of projects are in balloting, or approaching that state at this
time.  This includes:

PDAM / Project #	Title	PASC number	
	Status	
9945-1 System API	
3 / 22.42	Security Amendment	1003.1e	
	Project Withdrawn	
4 / 22.21.01.03.03	Protocol Ind. Interface	1003.1g	
	DAM completed, DoC/DIS of final version needed.	
5 / 22.39	Extensions to base 	1003.1a	
	In FPDAM balloting, should go to DIS in 2000	
7 / 22.21.04.01.01	Advanced Real Time Extensions	1003.1j	
	FDAM next step - Sept 2000	
8 / 22.40	Additional Realtime Extensions 	1003.1d	
	FDAM next step - Sept 2000	
			
9945-2 Shell and Utilities	
2 / 22.41	Shell & Utility Extensions	1003.2b	
	DoC in process, FPDAM next step	
3 / 22.43	Shell & Utility Security	1003.2c	
	Project Withdrawn	
			
15068 Administration	
3 / 22.21.03.05	User Admin	1387.3	
	US to provide draft for DIS ballot	
4 / 22.21.03.03	Print Admin	1387.4	
	Project Withdrawn	
	
13210 Test Methods	
rev 22.37	Test Methods	2003	
	Awaiting publication	
	
14515 9945 Test Methods	
1-1   22.14515-1.02	-1 Test Methods Realtime Extension	2003.1b	
	PDAM DoC and recommendation next step	
	
14766 - Guide to National Profiles and Locales	
14766	Entering PDTR Aug 2000	
	
LIS	
9945-0 	 Language Independent Specification	1003.0	
	Withdrawn	
	
OSE Profile Projects	
22.15287.01	OSE Profile Project: Supercomputing	1003.10	
	Awaiting Publication	
22.15287.02	Real Time Profile	1003.13	
	Awaiting Publication	

1.3 COOPERATION AND COMPETITION
WG15 is continuing to work with IEEE PASC and The Open Group (TOG) to
develop methods of cooperation.  In mid 1999, a joint committee, within
PASC, TOG and WG15, known as the 'the Austin Group' had been established and
met to begin the revision of IS 9945-1 and IS 9945-2.  In order to support
this effort, WG15 formed two working groups, the first known as Rapporteur
group for rEVising (REV) with the goal of encouraging and facilitating
international participation in the revision process.  The REV group has met
in conjunction with 'the Austin group.'  The second group established within
WG15 is called the Rapporteur group for Procedures and Coordination (RPC)
and was tasked to assist with coordinating the merging of procedures that
are required to achieve the joint technical development of revisions to IS
9945-1 and IS 9945-2.  This group meet in conjunction with the 'joint
procedures committee' to write a set of procedures that would facilitate the
flow of document approval within the three organizations

Within the past year the Joint Procedures Committee generated a document
called 'Joint Procedures for Document Development' (JDOCS) defining the
joint process.  This document 
has been reviewed by WG15 and a resolution passed approving it use during
the revision of 9945-1.

2.0 PERIOD REVIEW 

2.1 MARKET REQUIREMENTS 
The joining of efforts among IEEE PASC, TOG and WG15 addresses several
issues that confront standardization effort within the computer operating
systems area.  The stabilizing of 'base' standards so that vendors can
provide a mature produce meeting their customers requirements.  Conformance
testing suites and activities providing the user community with well tested
product from which to choose

2.2 ACHIEVEMENTS
Submitted the revision to 9945-1 for CD registration and FCD ballot in SC22.
This draft is the joint product of The Open Group, IEEE POSIX and WG15 and
is the document resulting from the merge 9945-1:1996, new approved POSIX
amendments to 9945-1, and The Open Group documents.   Draft 3 was developed
and reviewed leading to Draft 4 that was released in August.  Draft for is
the document currently in FCD ballot.

Two projects 22.40 (Additional realtime extensions) and 22.21.04.01.01
(Advanced realtime extensions), completed FPDAM balloting and are in final
preparation for submission for FDAM.

The Revision of ISO/IEC IS 13210:1994 (Requirements and Guidelines for Test
Methods Specifications and Test Method Implementations for Measuring
Conformance to POSIX Standards) completed FDIS ballot and is awaiting
publication.

2.3 RESOURCES 
The POSIX work is dependent on IEEE and The Open Group, as a source of
technical expertise, support and development work.  WG15 has traditionally
had five active (i.e. attending meetings) national bodies, and technical
contributions from additional national bodies.  Three national bodies
attended the last WG15 meeting in July 1999 while five national bodies
attend the WG15 meeting in July 2000.  

The close association that continues to develop between The Open Group,
POSIX and WG15 and discussed elsewhere in this report provides sufficient
resources to continue development of standards.

3.0 FOCUS FOR THIS PLANNING PERIOD

3.1 DELIVERABLES: 
See the active projects list above

3.2 STRATEGIES: 
The current strategy has two elements.  The first is to complete the
amendment process to the POSIX base standards with several standards
expecting to complete this year.  And second is to support the work of 'the
Austin Group'.

3.2.1 RISKS 
None for the current work plan.

3.2.2 OPPORTUNITIES 
The main opportunity expected of the strategy is to stabilize the joint
POSIX and The Open Group base standards so that vendors can enhance and
mature their products.

3.3 WORK PROGRAM PRIORITIES 
Many POSIX projects have mature documents at various stages within the ISO
balloting process.  It will be a priority to move these documents along and
push them to completion.

4. CONVENER'S REPORT

4.1 WG15 MEETING SCHEDULE
The last meeting of WG15 was held in Nashua, NH on 21 July 2000.  The next
meeting is tentatively scheduled for Jan 2000 with the meeting location
currently expected to be in the San Francisco Bay area in association with
The Open Group meeting at that time.  If sufficient progress is made prior
to November using email balloting then the Jan 2001 meeting will be
cancelled and the annual July meeting will be held, at a location not yet
determined.  WG15 reconfirmed its consensus to meet on an annual basis, in
conjunction with other meetings, workload determining the exact frequency.  

4.2 PROJECT EDITOR ASSIGNMENTS
No new requests.

4.3 PROJECT TIMEOUTS

4.3.1 PROJECTS NOT REACHING CD WITHIN 3 YEARS
Project Extension Request
WG15 requests that an extension be granted to work item 22.14766, Guide to
POSIX National Profiles and Locales.  The working group developing this
document, as a joint IEEE (POSIX 1494) and ISO document has been slowed by a
limited number of face-to-face meeting opportunities.  Regardless, the
working group will be releasing Draft 5 of this document in late September
2000, just prior to the SC22 meeting, and will submit this version for PDTR
balloting.

4.3.2 PROJECTS NOT REACHING FDIS STAGE WITHIN FOUR YEARS OF REACHING CD
Project Extension Request
WG15 advises SC22 that project number 22.41 POSIX, Part 2 Shell and Utility
Addendum has completed draft 14 and is ready to proceed to FDIS pending
final submission of the Disposition of Comments document.  This project
received an extension at the last SC22 meeting and has used that time to
complete its draft document.  It is expected that this draft and Disposition
of Comments will be submitted to the SC22 Secretary in September 2000.

4.4 FOR SC22 INFORMATION
New Project
WG15 advises SC22 of it intention to submit two requests for new work items
that will result in two standalone standards.  Each of these projects were
originated as amendments to the ISO/IEC 9945-1 standard but in accordance
with current POSIX resolutions these will be now be modified and developed
as independent standards.   The first is a standard concerned with Fault
Tolerance APIs called Services for Reliable, Available, and Serviceable
Systems.  The second is for a set of APIs covering Operating Systems Device
Control. 

New Subdivision of Work
WG15 advises SC22 of it intention to submit requests for subdivision of work
for project 22.15287.02 (Realtime Profiles) for new amendments (AMD-1,
Embedded Systems Profile and AMD-2, Extended Profile)

4.5 ACTION REQUESTS FOR SC22

4.5.1 DOCUMENTS TO BE FORWARDED
Forwarding of Documents for Action:

WG15 advises SC22 that the following document is ready for PDTR registration
and will be submitted shortly:
	JTC 1.22.14766 - Guide to POSIX National Profiles and Locales

WG15 advises SC22 that the following documents are ready for FDAM ballot and
will be submitted shortly:
JTC 1.22.40 - 9945-1 PDAM 8 Additional Realtime Extensions (P1003.1d/D10)
JTC 1.22.21.04.01.01 - 9945-1 PDAM 7 Advanced Realtime Extensions
(P1003.1j/D9)
		JTC 1.22.41 - 9945-2 Shell and Utility Addendum  (P1003.2b
Part 2 draft 14)

WG15 advises SC22 that the project 22.18011 POSIX Realtime Distributed
Systems API LIS already approved (N3013 [res 99-15]) for CD registration and
CD ballot will be submitted shortly:

4.5.2 OTHER ACTIONS
None