Subject: SC 22 N 3168 - Liaison Status Report from the SC 22 Liaison Offic er to SC 7 (and vice-versa)

From: Lisa Rajchel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 10:54:31 -0400

__________________ beginning of title page _________________________ 
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces 
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3168

TITLE:
Liaison Status Report from the SC 22 Liaison Officer to SC 7 (and
vice-versa)
DATE ASSIGNED:
2000-09-01

SOURCE:
J. Moore, SC 22 Liaison Officer to SC 7 (and vice-versa)
BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other (Defined)
PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:
This document will be discussed under Agenda Item 7.4.2 at the JTC 1/SC 22
Plenary Meeting. 
ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI to SC22 Member Bodies
DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
	text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Lisa Rajchel
ANSI
11 West 42nd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4932
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

__________________ end of title page _________________________ 
Liaison Report: ISO/IEC JTC1/SC7 (Software Engineering)
Prepared 1 September 2000
Jim Moore, SC 22 Liaison Officer to SC 7 (and vice-versa)
+1.703.883.7396, [email-masked]
Background
SC7 meets once a year in plenary with all of its working groups, with a
typical attendance of 120-180 individuals. Most working groups meet one or
more additional times during the year. The most recent plenary meeting was
held in Madrid, Spain, 29 May - 2 June, 2000. As of 1999, SC7 maintains an
inventory of about 40 standards and technical reports, a collection that is
growing at a rate of 10-20 per year.
Scope and Name
The scope of SC7 is:
		Standardization of processes, supporting tools and
supporting technologies for the engineering of software products and
systems.
Note that extension of scope to address systems was previously granted by
JTC1. SC7 has now requested that its name be changed accordingly to
"Software and Systems Engineering." This request is currently under ballot
in JTC1. SC22 participants will be interested to note that the work of SC7
on systems engineering, like its work on software engineering, will center
on the generic processes, practices and product characteristics that
characterize a disciplined, engineering-based approach to the development of
systems.
Integrity Level
A recently published SC22 technical report includes a reference to an SC7
standard. ISO/IEC TR 15942, Guide for the use of the Ada programming
language in high integrity systems, references ISO/IEC 15026, System and
Software Integrity Levels. The purpose of the latter standard is to define
the concept of "integrity level" as a quantitative characterization of a
software property necessary to maintain system risks within limits
appropriate to the intended usage of the system.
Software Engineering Environment Services
SC22/WG4 is currently working on project 1.22.15940, Software Engineering
Environment Services. This project is currently at CD registration stage.
According to the introduction of the current draft:
		This (draft) International Standard defines the SEE services
conceptually in a framework that can be adapted to any software engineering
environment to automate one or more processes. For a user interested in a
specific process, this (draft) International Standard describes the
relationship between a given software engineering process, the software
engineering services and the software engineering tool. 
The draft lists four categories of software engineering services:
*	technical engineering functions (e.g., system design, simulation)
*	technical management functions (e.g., reuse management,
configuration management)
*	project management functions (e.g., resource scheduling, project
tracking)
*	support functions (e.g., editing, maintenance of the support
facility)
In the technical engineering services category are 17 services including
source code generation service and compilation service.