Subject: SC 22 N 3155 - National Activity Report of The Netherlands to the Plenary Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22, September 12-15, 2000

From: Lisa Rajchel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 12:02:13 -0400

_____________________beginning of title page___________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3155

TITLE:
National Activity Report of The Netherlands to the Plenary Meeting of
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22, September 12-15, 2000

DATE ASSIGNED:
2000-08-27

SOURCE:
National Body of The Netherlands

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
National Body Activity Report

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:
This document will be discussed under Agenda Item 7.2.5 at the JTC 1/SC 22
Plenary Meeting. 

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI to SC22 Member Bodies

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Lisa Rajchel
ANSI
11 West 42nd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4932
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

_____________________end of title page______________

National Activity Report from the Netherlands to the SC22 Plenary, Nara
(Japan)
12-15 September 2000
The Dutch Programming Language Committee has currently 14 members and meets
2-3 times per year to discuss SC22 issues and, when necessary, relevant JTC1
documents.
There is active participation from the Netherlands in the SC22 WGs on COBOL,
Fortran, Ada, bindings, C, Modula-2, POSIX and C++.  Other SC22 projects,
such as APL, VDM, Prolog and Internationalization are followed on a more
individual basis.
Like in other National Bodies, the Dutch SC22 committee is suffering from
funding problems: it proves very difficult to find participants (with
supportive employers) who are willing to sacrifice time to review documents
and come to meetings (this is not the hard part), but who are also willing
and able to pay the required NNI fee.  A solution to this problem is clearly
not obvious, and there is a risk that (the solution of) this problem may
have consequences for international participation of Dutch experts.
In the past period, the handling of FCD 14651 (International String
Ordering) and the progression of this document to FDIS has caused some
unease (to put it mildly) within our committee.  Several NO votes and
lengthy comments were issued during the FCD 14651 ballot, resulting in
extensive changes in the document.  In our opinion this implied that the
document was not yet ready for FDIS ballot.  Still, WG20 recommended
progression to the FDIS stage, a recommendation that was adopted by the SC22
Secretariat.  The Dutch SC22 committee found this highly unsatisfactory.
In an attempt to prevent similar situations to occur in the future, the
Netherlands will suggest in a separate document some refinements to the SC22
internal procedures.  It is proposed to discuss this document at the SC22
Plenary in September 2000.
W. F. Wakker, Chairman 
August 2000