Subject: SC 22 N 3146 - Letter from the Austrian HoD Concerning the Austri an offer to host the 2001 Plenary meeting of SC22

From: Lisa Rajchel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:07:19 -0400

_____________________beginning of title page ____________________________

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3146

TITLE:
Letter from the Austrian HoD Concerning the Austrian offer to host the 2001
Plenary meeting of SC22

DATE ASSIGNED:
2000-08-14

SOURCE:
M. Schoenhacker, Austrian HoD

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other (Defined)

PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:
This document will be discussed under Agenda Item 12.1.1 at the JTC 1/SC 22
Plenary Meeting. National Bodies are asked to consider hosting the 2001
Plenary meeting of SC 22.  If any National Body is able to host the 2001
Plenary meeting, please advise the SC 22 Secretariat and Chairman as soon as
possible.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI to SC22 Member Bodies

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Lisa Rajchel
ANSI
11 West 42nd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4932
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

_____________________end of title page
______________________________________________________

Dear SC22 Colleagues,

it is with deepest regret and great reluctance that I need to withdraw the
Austrian offer to host the 2001 Plenary meeting of SC22. Please allow me to
explain the situation:
As many of you know, I used to work at Vienna University of Technology, and
as the Austrian HoD, I offered to host the 2001 meeting in Vienna, and I was
looking forward to welcoming you all in Austria.
However, things have changed considerably. I spent the college year of
1999/2000 working as a visiting assistant professor at Franklin and Marshall
College in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. This was based on the understanding that
I was replacing a professor during his sabbatical, and would return to
Vienna after one year. Therefore I did not anticipate any problems hosting
the Plenary in 2001.
Last fall, while I was at F&M College, a new tenure track position in
Computer Science was announced. I applied, was picked as one of the three
candidates to present a talk, and was ultimately selected. Then I had to
apply for a long-term U.S. visa, which took an extremely long time. I had
already returned to Austria when I received confirmation that my visa would
be granted.
As you will understand, I am now completely unable to host next year's
meeting in Vienna, simply because I will not be there for almost the entire
year. I am profoundly embarrassed by this situation, but hope that you will
understand.
I know that this request comes late, but hopefully it will not be too late
to ask if another National Body would be willing to host next year's
meeting. If you are able and willing to consider taking over, please get in
touch with John Hill to arrange the details.
Once again, please accept my sincere apologies.
				Best regards,
				Martin Schoenhacker
				(Austrian HoD)

______________________________________________
Dr. Martin Schoenhacker (Schönhacker)
Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster PA, USA
Phone: +1 (717)291-4027  Fax: +1 (717)399-4507