Subject: SC 22 N 3144 - National Activity Report of Austria to the Plenary Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22, September 12-15, 2000

From: Lisa Rajchel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:16:59 -0400

_____________________beginning of title page ____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces 
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N3144

TITLE:
National Activity Report of Austria to the Plenary Meeting of ISO/IEC
JTC1/SC22, 
September 12-15, 2000
DATE ASSIGNED:
2000-08-14

SOURCE:
National Body of Austria
BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
National Body Activity Report
PROJECT NUMBER:

STATUS:
This document will be discussed under Agenda Item 7.2.2 at the JTC 1/SC 22
Plenary Meeting. The document is at:
ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI to SC22 Member Bodies
DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
text

CROSS REFERENCE:

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Lisa Rajchel
ANSI
11 West 42nd Street
New York, NY  10036
Telephone:  (212) 642-4932
Fax:             (212) 840-2298
Email:  [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>   

--- Austrian NB Report 2000 follows --------------------------------
Austrian National Body Report
to the ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 Plenary 2000

In Austria, standardization activities are coordinated by ON
(Oesterreichisches Normungsinstitut).  The mirror group of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22
is called AG 001.5.  It is a very small group, making it impossible to
follow all the international developments.  However, at least some of the
documents can be processed, and there is active participation in some
working groups, most notably Fortran (by Gerhard and David Schmitt) and
Modula-2 (by Martin Schoenhacker, who is the current convener).
It is still hoped that industry will eventually start to participate in this
Austrian mirror group, but so far the members all come from academia.  This
causes problems in particular with funding, which is also one of the reasons
that Austria will unfortunately not be represented at this year's SC22
Plenary meeting.
The other reason for not being represented is yet another change in my
personal life: After having taught at Franklin & Marshall College,
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, as a Visiting Assistant Professor for the college
year 1999/2000, I have now been appointed to a tenure track position at the
same college, and will therefore spend some more time in the U.S. rather
than in Austria.
As you know from my previous message to the mailing list (SC22.1447), I will
therefore unfortunately not be able to host the 2001 meeting of SC22. I
deeply regret this and can only offer you my sincere apologies for the
inconvenience caused by this cancellation.
On behalf of the Austrian mirror group wish you all an interesting,
productive and successful meeting in Japan!
				Best regards,
	Dr. Martin Schoenhacker
	Austrian HoD to SC22
	Vienna Univ. of Technology
	Karlsplatz 13/186-1
	A-1040 Vienna, Austria
	[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

--- End of Austrian NB Report 2000 ---------------------------------

______________________________________________
Dr. Martin Schoenhacker (Schönhacker)
Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster PA, USA
Phone: +1 (717)291-4027  Fax: +1 (717)399-4507