Subject: PDAM 22 (Keyboard symbols) to ISO/IEC 10646 - Canadian ballot revision to be sent before March 31st

From: Alain LaBonté <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 09:54:36 -0800

Written on 1998-03-16, programmed to be sent automatically on 1998-03-20
________________________________________________________________________

Today, I tried to tell SC2/WG2 that PDAM 22 to ISO/IEC 10646 would
completely satisfy JTC1/WG5 requirement to encode keyboard symbols only if
the proposal contained in SC2/WG2 N 1668R2 was included as a complement
(PDAM 22 unifies function symbols "Delete" and "Clear Screen" which is OK
only if proposal SC2/WG2 N 1668R2, which creates a combining SCREEN [and a
combining KEYCAP, a good idea that goes beyond JTC1/WG5 requirements], is
included with the FPDAM.

The chair, Mike Ksar, and the editor, Bruce Paterson, said that we only had
until March 31 to make this comment. Dr Uma and I agree that we should make
it.

So I recommend that we amend our vote in the folowing way :

We vote YES (no change, we had voted YES without comment) on PDAM 22 with
the following comment:

The proposal of SC2/WG2 N 1668 R2 (or a more recent revison with enhanced
glyphs) should be included in the FPDAM 22 to ISO/IEC 10646-1 to satisfy
the requirements of JTC1/WG5 (ex-SC18/WG9), requirements that SC2/WG2
already had agreed to in previous years. A liaison statement to SC18/WG9
had been issued to that effect. SC2/WG2 has to be consistent with the
decisions it took and which were announced to the exterior world. We
understand that it had been overlooked and Canada requests this correction
as a formality to complement its YES vote.

Alain LaBonté
Seattle