Subject: Re: iso/iec DIS 14755 - Copyright ISO

From: "Alain LaBont/e'/" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 19:18:32 -0400

At 17:23 1996-7-23 EDT, [email-masked] wrote:
>To: LaBont<e'>, Alain  <[email-masked]>
>cc: POND    --TOROLAB6 Pond, Rick        
>
>From: C.Y.Alexis Cheng,     National Language Technical Centre                 
>IBM Mail: CAIB2499 at IBMMAIL    Internet: [email-masked]                 
>( )IBM Confidential  (x)Unclassified                                           
>Subject: iso/iec 14755                                                         
>
>Bonjour Alain,                                                                 
>
>I'm just reading your ISO/IEC 14755 CD2 dated 1995-10-16                     
>on the web pages and noticed some typo mistakes.  Do you                     
>have a more up to date version you can send me?  I suspect                   
>you'll have caught all the typo errors in the newer draft.                   
  
>Merci.                                                                       

Very unfortunately, at the DIS stage I can no longer send documents (this is
not new, at this stage, it is a standard, albeit preliminary, available
through ISO for a fee). If I understood correctly, we were informed of a
straight policy this week about that which is even more severe (ISO, at a
level higher than JTC1, clearly claims that WDs and CDs are ISO copyrighted
if done under ISO... JTC1 had opened the door to WDs and CDs to be published
on the WEB... JTC1 said a big NO... that is very much contested now, but
that is God who said so for the moment). However IBM Canada will vote on
this and via the person who will vote (Dr Umamaheswaran; it is a JTC1
ballot, but normally refered here to CAC/SC18 members, and for IBM Canada
that means our common excellent friend Uma) you will have access to the
document (a big advantage of being a voting member, so far for free in
Canada (well, travel expenses to attend meetings are not free in a big
country like Canada, but people may also be members at a distance if they
show regular life signs), an advantage some have to pay [although maybe not
a big sum, it depends, in addition to national travel expenses] in some
other countries).

Alain LaBonté

cc a few potentially interested lists (issue of Copyright on ISO docs)